Lion GM Partition won't unmount/delete! HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by macuzer123, Jul 17, 2011.

1. macuzer123 macrumors newbie

I was curious to know if some of my apps would work in Lion (esp. Logic)...
    So, I downloaded the Lion GM and installed it on a new partition on my iMac.
    I'm loving Lion, didn't notice the bugs (cause I wasn't looking for any), but I wanted to delete the partition cause it took up half my HD.
    I rebooted under Macintosh HD (by the way, I'm running SL 10.6.8) and I tried deleting the partition but all it says is "Partition Failed"

I did the same thing in Lion's Recovery HD, but it says it can't unmount the (lion) disk.

I tried many, MANY times and nothing's working. My Macintosh HD runs fine, except the Lion partition is taking up half the hard drive.

Can someone help? I'm trying to get rid of this Lion partition and NOTHING works. I appreciate any help, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Happened to lots of us.
    The fix are: you need to boot up with Lion OS externally in order to erase that partition. Or you can wait for the official release, upgrade over SL, then go back and erase the beta Lion.

Im waiting for the official release.

3. MuddyDucky macrumors newbie

MuddyDucky

I got this error too. Just boot up with the Snow Leopard install disk. Then, go to Utilities, then disk utility. You can then remove the partition.

4. macuzer123, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011

macuzer123 thread starter macrumors newbie

So how do I do that? Sorry for the dumb questions :rolleyes:
    As I said, I have an external hard drive but how do I download the Lion GM on it, and can I delete it afterwards (on the external hard drive)?

Thanks for the help.

By the way, even though I am upgrading to Lion, it'll only be on my MBP...I have software on my iMac that won't work on Lion (sadly), which is why I NEED to delete this partition.

The only SL disc I have is the upgrade... is that what you're talking about?
    My iMac came with Leopard 10.5 install discs, and I refuse to do another clean install... especially from Leopard.

5. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Yes that disc is the same disc that you get if you bought the non-upgrade package. As for the other part I can't confirm for I don't have 10.7.

Hugh

6. MuddyDucky macrumors newbie

MuddyDucky

Try using your SL disk first. Put it in your mac, and restart. Hold the option or alt key when the boot chime sounds, and select the disk. Go through enough steps until you get the finder bar, and navigate to utilities and disk utility. Once you're in it, you can remove the Lion partition*. (NOTE: you may have empty space after removing the partition; just resize your normal partition to fit the whole drive).

I suppose any install or upgrade disk would work. Just make sure you do not go through the installation. All you need access to is disk utility.

For the external HD: I have no experience of installing Lion on it. I believe the procedure is the same. (Open the Lion install app and choose the HD). Yes, you can remove Lion off the HD. All you need to do is format it.

*specific instructions:

1. Open disk utility.
    2. Select your HD.
    3. Go to the partition tab, and select your Lion partition.
    4. Click the "-" or subtract sign to remove the partition.
    5. Click apply.
    6. Resize the remaining partition (Macintosh HD) by clicking and dragging the bottom right corner of the box to the bottom. (Only if this is the only partition on your mac).
    7. Click apply.
    8. Turn off your mac and boot into SL.
    9. The partition should be gone!