Lion GM Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by natd1993, Jul 9, 2011.

1. natd1993 macrumors regular

natd1993

So, when the retail edition comes out (on the mac app store) will my GM edition automatically count as that version, or will I have to buy the retail edition as well? Does the GM edition receive an update or something to warrant it 'retail?'

2. simsaladimbamba

As you already paid 99 USD for the developer account, you get the release version (= Gold Master) for free, but since you already have the GM, you don't need to download the release version again.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Haha. If he was really a Dev he wouldn't be asking that question... And certainly not here.

4. simsaladimbamba

I know. Thus my answer.

5. xe-cute macrumors newbie

Hey guys I was wondering if you could advise me please.

I bought a 2nd hand Mac Mini (my 1st Mac) that arrives this week.

It is coming with Lion GM pre-installed which I didn't pay much attention to at first with me being completely clueless about Macs.

Anyway, I'm going to be using the Mac to develop ios stuff, so I want it to be all above board and legit etc. as I will be joining the ios developer program (I'm a Unity 3D user switching from Windows based developing to Mac based so I can get in to the ios market).

My question is do I need to buy Snow Leopard and then Lion or can I just buy Lion when it comes out? Will there be any issues?

Basically I just want a system that is all good, clean & genuine etc. as this is my new venture I am investing in. Just not sure where I stand atm or what to do.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know Lion GM turns to Retail but I want a version that I myself purchased so that there are no possible issues further down the line (I like to keep my house in order).

P.P.S. If I do have to buy Snow Lion first than what specific version do I need for my hardware? (Mac Mini MB463*/A)

P.P.P.S Unfortunately Lion GM comes free with only osx Developer program and not with ios Developer program as that would of been the simplest way for me to get up to date and all straghtened out with everything I believe.

6. simsaladimbamba

In order to properly upgrade to Lion via a version of Lion you purchased, you have to have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installed on that Mac. You can purchase the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD for 29 USD, as that is a fully working RETAIL version of Mac OS X. Then perform a clean install of 10.6 and upgrade to the latest version of Mac OS X via Software Update and then buy Lion via the Mac App Store.
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

7. xe-cute macrumors newbie

+1 Thanks for your help.

Yeah I was wondering with them upgrade Snow Leopard DVDs if I 1st had to have Tiger installed, so I am glad you cleared that up for me. (also was not sure if they where restricted to certain hardware)

At one point I was thinking "how many Operating Systems must I buy?" as they all seemed to need the previous to upgrade at 1st glance which seemed like a never ending chain.

After I have used the Snow Leopard DVD to upgrade to Lion can I then sell that as used? or is it then tied to my system along with Lion kinda like how windows is?

Also in a similar manner is it safe to buy Snow Lion from someone else or only from Apple store? (just trying to save the pennies as i've spent a fortune on Apple Hardware to get setup so far & still have more development Software to buy again for Mac from PC migration).

Lastly is there anything else I need to know about what to do with my Mac when I get it? For example do I register the hardware or anything to my name incase it gets stolen. Similarly Is there any blacklists to check the serial number against to make sure it is not stolen? (Wish I had the money to of bought new to not be so stressed out).

I think I've covered most my concerns now, lol.

Thanks again & sorry for so many questions. I'll be much more calm when I have it in my posession and know everything is alright. (Then I shall just worry about software security & viruses, lol)

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Perhaps this doesn't belong in this thread but...

What happens when all retail copies of SL are removed? (as they are being removed now). If somebody skipped 10.6 altogether and is coming from say Leopard, how do they upgrade? There are no more SL copies for sale and they have no App Store application. (Which is really all that is needed for Lion).

And I'm sure Apple is going to advertise Lion for $29.99 without the fine print that anything is required. (But I cut hair so what the hell do I know?)

Strange times indeed. You need the app store app to get Lion online but can't get the app store app unless you're on Snow Leopard which won't exist pretty soon.

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

They might keep the Mac Box Set around, but update it with Lion.