Lion has made my Mac unusable.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by hitek79, Jul 20, 2011.

1. hitek79 macrumors member

Typing this from my phone as my laptop is totally unusable right now. Whenever I click on an application to use it, it automatically deselects the app about 4 seconds later. If I click on the search bar in Chrome and start typing, 4 seconds later it's deselected and I can no longer type. This happens with every application that I open. Any ideas?

2. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

3. hitek79 thread starter macrumors member

4. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

5. canadianpj macrumors 6502

6. WeetaBiXie macrumors regular

WeetaBiXie

This is what happened to me too. Installed Lion on my late 2011 17" MBP and early 2011 27" iMac and both have the same problem.

I'll test out what's advice on my MBP once I'm in the hotel....Can't test on my iMac :(

Anyone have any luck on this?

7. WeetaBiXie macrumors regular

WeetaBiXie

On my MBP Verify Disk finds no problems and resetting SMC also does not fix the problem. Reinstalling lion now... :(

8. WeetaBiXie macrumors regular

WeetaBiXie

Reinstalled Lion, no joy... Anyone found a solution?

9. hitek79 thread starter macrumors member

On mine it's an App that's doing it I think. I changed my settings so no apps opened on restart, and then I made sure all apps were up to date, and then only opened the Apps that I need. I'll go thru all of them tonight to see if any of them trigger it again.

10. WeetaBiXie macrumors regular

WeetaBiXie

Agreed. I disabled a few startup apps, and now it works fine..Will work it when I get back in a couple of days...At least I can work now!

11. hitek79 thread starter macrumors member

So I opened up the app Store News last night, and immediately my computer reverted back to the same issue, so I'm going to say it's the culprit for right now.

12. WeetaBiXie macrumors regular

WeetaBiXie

13. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

It is likely that it's a non-Apple application playing havoc on your computer, but if the issue is still happening after a fresh, CLEAN reinstallation over a wiped hard drive, I don't know what to tell you.

My friend had a similar issue when he installed Lion and then used his Snow Leopard Time Machine backup to get his files and settings back. He had some bad programs or settings and it really screwed Lion up. We simply did a fresh reinstall and then dragged files over manually and his computer is running smoothly without any problems. Hope you can soon say the same! Good luck!

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

Finally....a Mac OS release feels like a Windows OS release.

Feels like home.

15. braintoniq macrumors newbie

Do an absolute clean install. Anything else is inviting disaster.

If you want to be really sure, and your current HD is over 18 months old, replace the HD with a fresh new one. Then install Lion.

16. spincr macrumors member

spincr

Go to an apple help center. They should be trained and educated to answer any questions and problems Lion is giving you (and a lot of others).

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Know what's so cool about a macbook? It's portable! You can pick it up and bring it to an apple store where they can help you fix it!

18. WeetaBiXie macrumors regular

WeetaBiXie

LOL..Thanks for the advice! If you read the thread, we actually found and fixed the problems. It was Rogue start up programs!

Disabling them from User & Groups>Login Items, solves the problem.

After having a 17" MBP for a couple of years, I would say its not as portable as we think it is..hahaha...

19. stroked Suspended

stroked

Know what's so cool about MacRumors? You can ask questions about your Mac.
    Some people want to fix their own computers, and some people live a long way from an Apple store.

20. WeetaBiXie macrumors regular

WeetaBiXie

Whats an Apple Store? We have a Premium Reseller here who charges an arm and a leg for service, and their stuff costs $100 to $200 more, but people go there cause its "official looking" hehe..no I am not in Kumming, China...