Lion Hater Becomes Lion Lover

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tom5304, Aug 29, 2011.

1. tom5304 macrumors regular

Okay, so my first experience with Lion was a disaster.

-Broken Wifi
    -Very sluggish/laggy performance in Finder
    -Safari an experience in beach-ball watching
    -Using Handbrake or other CPU-intensive apps bogged my iMac down so bad I had to restart.

These symptoms were the same when I installed over Snow Leopard, and also when I did a clean install.

I even went so far as to get a refund from Apple. I'll admit that part was a bit petulant, but I was angry that Apple had released an OS that was so mangled (on my computer).

When 10.7.1 came out I was tempted to retry, so I waited a week or so and then did a Time Machine backup of my Snow Leopard setup, in case I was disappointed again.

However, I was not disappointed at all with Lion 10.7.1! In fact, my mid-2007 iMac (2GB RAM) has never run better! Everything on the machine runs quicker (and yes, snappier). Safari is running like a dream, and I've ditched Chrome browser for now because Safari is finally every bit as quick.

In the spirit of trying out new things, I've started using Launcher instead of going to the Applications section of a Finder window. I can't say Launcher is any better, but it's really no worse.

Mission Control is fine with me, too, although not being a power user, I don't use it much.

So, since I came on these forums to trash the initially broken version of Lion, I come here to humbly say that the Lion that now runs on my Mac is a definite improvement over Snow Leopard (except for missing Front Row!)

I'm now a Lion lover. :D

2. dekadent macrumors member

dekadent

So, did you pay for it again? ;)

3. tom5304 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I didn't want to let that cat out of the bag. :eek:

When I went to the App Store to re-purchase Lion, I clicked on the button and Lion just downloaded itself. No payment process... :eek:

But yes, absolutely positively I am going to pay Apple $29.99 for Lion. When I get home this afternoon I'm going to contact Apple to figure out how to pay them. I'm sure they'll figure out a way.

4. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

5. tom5304 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes! I meant LaunchPad. :eek:

6. kolax macrumors G3

Lion has been good for me, apart from two things which I wish Apple would fix/re-enable:

1. Hiding applications doesn't work properly or like previous OS X versions. It'll hide the application but still list it as the most recently accessed in the CMD+TAB list, which is stupid because you want to hide it and remove it from your workflow, without quitting it (as it may be doing a render or something).

2. 4-finger horizontal swipes used to switch applications. This only happens in fullscreen now. I want to be able to swipe to switch applications again (tried a 3rd party app Jitouch but was buggy and 4 finger swipes left and right didn't work great).

If Apple would sort those two things out, I'd be very happy. I've even gotten used to the three finger swipe up for Mission Control (vs. 4 finger swipe down).

You don't have to repurchase. Apple knows you already paid for it, so won't charge you again to redownload. This is the same for any app bought from the App Store.

7. Qwaf macrumors member

He knows. It is just that he has already had a refund on it. I suspect his account hadn't been updated to say he didn't own it.

8. tom5304, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

tom5304 thread starter macrumors regular

9. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I bet they will laugh at you +++ when you try and pay.

Why not jts give the $30 to charity?

10. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

once I got my macbook battery issues fixed with lion, I'm happier. Still getting too many beach balls, but I'm guessing that'll get better.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The number of fingers is configurable, you know.

12. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Excellent idea :)

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

I did a clean install of lion on a 2010 MBA and everything I use has worked flawlessly. I did not add the 10.7.1 upgrade as I have concerns it will break things.

I will wait for at least 2 more updates before I install any (unless community reaction is overwhelmingly positive).