Lion Heat Problems[again!]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimbo1mcm, Aug 1, 2011.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Yeh, it's another thread about the extra heat that Lion is causing. My 2011 13 with 2.2 and 8GB of RAM and a SSD is definitely running hotter. All the indexing is done. With just Chrome and the System Activity Monitor open and just reading this forum, my temps are CPU around 120-130F, fan 2000rpm, and base around 90 degrees. This is hotter than SL. Now I have to re-load SL and do some more checks, but Apple will have a big problem on their hands if this isn't fixed. Heat causes problems and is making the MBP uncomfortable to have on my lap. Closing Chrome and using Safari makes no difference in the temps.

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

you mean 2.3ghz right? I got the 15' 2.0ghz and it was hot when I upgraded to lion too! Did a quick search and found out the best way to do is a "clean install". You need to created a boot-able USB lion and do a clean install! Good luck!

3. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

That's about what my 2.8GHz does.

I don't remember it being any cooler, or the fans running any slower, on SL though...

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

My 15" 2.4GHz i5 runs pretty consistently at around 65c and fans around 2500 when using Chrome... little hotter than with SL...I only start to worry if I am using Handbrake because I use my MBP in clamshell mode driving my 27" ACD and it can get VERY hot (near 100c with fans hitting 6500) while processing the video. I've already had my logic board replaced after only 14 months (the Genius said most probably caused by heat)...:confused:
    I am concerned about continuing to run in clamshell mode but it seems the only way I can get the ACD to kick into full resolution...