Lion iCal Leather Silliness

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by codeus, Jul 5, 2011.

1. codeus macrumors newbie

So far I love Lion but what is with iCal's leather titlebar? Seems very out of place next to mail.app and I couldn't find a way to change it to a more minimal scheme.

So I replaced the artwork files in iCal with gray / aluminum ones using the same shades as Mail. The only thing I couldn't change was the slightly-off-black color of the text (I assume it's coded someplace), but I still prefer it.

I hope its ok to post a link to it here, it doesn't contain any apple software, just my images: -

http://macnix.blogspot.com/2011/07/change-mac-os-x-107-lion-ical-skin-to.html

Hope others find it useful.

2. nicroma macrumors 6502a

nicroma

Although the new look doesn't bother me, I just wanted to tell you, nice work! :cool:

3. f00f macrumors 65816

I would've done the opposite & given Mail.app some color but alas my artistic skills are nada. ;)

This grey theme is extraordinarily bland & morbid, not to mention inconsistent (e.g. iCal's leatheriness and relative colorfulness). 10.7 will give our retinas' rods a workout!

4. rodknocker macrumors 6502

thanks so much for this!!!!!!!

5. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I really like the new look for Address Book and Calendar. I would love to have seen Mail change, though I don't know what they could change it to. Plus, they would also need to change the iPad's mail app for symmetry.

6. BigJohno macrumors 65816

THANK YOU!!! When I saw the leather ical in dev 2 it almost made me not want to upgrade. Why is Apple doing this in their apps.

7. wueste macrumors newbie

Thanks! :)

8. Samsumac macrumors regular

9. ATC macrumors 6502a

I personally don't like the leather one so thanks OP! :)

Wish you found a way to get rid of those torn paper bits just below the top bar; your clean design looks out of place with those there IMO.

10. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

With the thick buttons and brown text it just looks like a bad skin now. Not an improvement IMO.

11. phalseHUD macrumors regular

phalseHUD

Also thought I'd weigh in with my opinion here. The new look in iCal is not my style and can't believe you have to hack artwork files to get rid of this horrible theme. Thought Apple would have included a few themes for users to choose from but seems like it is not the case unfortunately.

Let's all provide Apple with the relevant feedback

12. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Nice! I don't have Lion yet, but if I don't like the new iCal theme after using it a while, I'll remember to look for this thread :) Thanks for sharing!

13. stewacide macrumors regular

The cork-board theme is hideous. Dunno what Apple was thinking.

14. coughalot macrumors newbie

Thank you ever-so-much.

I can't stand 10.7's leather look on the Address Book and iCal.

15. bushido Suspended

bushido

i don't mind the design itself but it feels out of place, apple should have done it with all their apps or non at all. the worst is still iTunes, so out of place

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Wow, this is great! I hope you don't mind but I'm going to cite your blog in our Lion review in AnandTech.com :)

17. codeus thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course I don't mind, I am a big fan of Anandtech.com, sounds cool :)

I have just revised the images too, the shading is now lighter and more natural plus the torn page has gone.

I have also added a similar pack for Address book which does the same thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

18. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Thanks a lot, the finished images look much better than the default look.

19. fischerle macrumors newbie

Thanks!!!

This really bummed me out when I upgraded to Lion today. Your installers make it super easy to change up. Done, and donated. Thanks a bunch!