Lion Impressions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirtyThr33, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Well guys you know the drill,

Tell us users who don't have macs yet, how Lion is running on your MBP or other devices. What do you like/dislike? Anything you wish it still had?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Runs very fast. Safari is on steroids - literally. I am very very happy with this. Def. get it. I would have easily paid 100 for this (i got for free).

3. mmduluth macrumors regular

I thought I was crazy. Safari seems like it’s moving wayyyyyyyy faster than it was before. Faster than Chrome, and this is coming from someone who has always had better luck with Chrome.

4. Burntorange817 macrumors member

its great! everything snappy and flawless!

im 100% happy with lion and would gladly have paid more then the 29.99 asked.

early 2011 MBP 15

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Wow...Lion has it's high's but you'd really pay $100 for it?

Definitely noticeable. I want to try Safari 5.1 for Snow Leopard but don't want to risk changing the settings. I've configured 5.0.5 the way I want it to but some stuff is broken/changed in 5.1.

6. ThirtyThr33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

You mean like safari is loading pages quicker? I don't mean to sound stupid but how do they do that without upping hardware or watering down the program? In any event that's good to hear because I too preferred chrome.

I think my favorite features was the multi touch gestures (I briefly got to try it on a friends computer), but I wish they had a lot more options for gestures. Like hold a key and draw a circle to open a certain program ya know? I bet there's an app out there for that though

7. Macjames macrumors 6502a

It's thrown me off a little, to say the least. I'm hoping a restart tomorrow will quieten the machine down now spotlight has finished indexing.

I have an SSD so already had good performance but Lion seems a little quicker in certain areas than before, especially mail, safari and iTunes.

Initial impressions where a little negative, but I just need to adapt. Especially scrolling back a page in safari now it's only two fingers!

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Better memory allocation? Could be multiple things. I don't really know what and how they did whatever it is that they did so I wouldn't make assumptions here. All I know is that it is super fast. Nevertheless, Lion itself is almost double the speed for me than Snow Leopard.

9. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Overall I think I'm pleased, my biggest complaint is that the andromida wallpaper doesn't look as good as I had hoped. I would have preferred a slightly zoomed out version. Which is hardly a complaint at all!

Oh also, when I two finger swipe backwards the page is visible immediately but it takes a second for the page to reload. That annoys me.

10. mmduluth macrumors regular

Yea. Pages are loading super fast. It’s the first time I’ve seen it load pages faster than Chrome. I will actually use Safari instead of Chrome now. That’s saying a lot for me.

11. mmduluth macrumors regular

I would happily redo all my settings for this speed increase.

12. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

I like the quick search feature. Double-tap with three fingers over a word to search it in dictionary. Also as others have said Safari is much faster.

13. mmduluth macrumors regular

That would be one of my favorite features if it worked right for me. It never works the first time (for me at least). I have to take 3 fingers and just keep tapping until the box pops up. It works, just not of the first try.

14. th3goob macrumors regular

most of the gestures wont work and there all enabled.:mad:

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would it be okay for me to upgrade you think without backing up?

16. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

i did two today, zero loss of anything and no problems

17. orangepeel macrumors member

I'll let you guy's beta test it, after the iphoto 11' debacle I officially adopted the wait and see policy.

18. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok, cool. Thanks for the reply. :)

19. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

The upgrade was very smooth. The only snag I hit was that my Logitech Performance MX mouse forgot some of its settings. For example, the thumb button cannot evoke expose any more. Tried to fix its preferences but no cigar. Looks like I'm going to wait for Logitech to release updated drivers.

20. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Downloading it now; I'm sure, just like the gold master, ill prefer 10.6 over this so called "Lion."

I do like seeing that you can get rid of the stupid textures in iCal/notes, but that's just the tip of the iceberg of disappointment. .

21. christeeezy, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

christeeezy macrumors member

Just installed Lion and right off the bat, I noticed bugs.

When moving the mission control and launchpad icons from the left to the right side of the dock, they both jumped back to their original spots. I had to move them a second time to get them to stick.

In launchpad, you click and hold on an icon to rearrange and delete, just like an iPad or iPhone. But, launchpad only allows you to delete apps downloaded from the appstore. Everything else, you need to navigate to the applications folder in finder to delete your app. Not really a bug, but an inconvenience.

Double-three-finger-tap on a word should bring up the definition of the word. This doesn't work in Firefox. I haven't tried Safari yet, maybe it works there, maybe not.

Scrolling is laggy every once in a while. I've never noticed ANY sort of lag in SL, and I shouldn't with my machine.

Fans take a bit longer to die down after intensive tasks, maybe Apple made that change as a safety measure, maybe Lion in its current state just isn't as efficient. Who knows?

The secondary click menu takes a bit longer to open compared to being instantaneous in SL. It causes me to attempt another secondary click which closes the menu :mad: I know this also isn't a bug but it'll take some getting used to. --EDIT:I learned this from user ZacNicholson. You can make your tap-to-click secondary click instant again by disabling "Zoom in or out" in Trackpad > Scroll & Zoom settings. We shouldn't have to do this but it'll get us by until it's updated. But this brings me to a new bug:
    When changing the setting for this, I noticed it took anywhere from 8 to 15 seconds for the setting to take effect, even after closing the system preferences. I do not believe it was like this in SL.

If you have anything on your dashboard that is animated (I have a movie time listing), the movements of the animation will cause flickering in mission control. Not to all of mission control but to the little preview window.

This is all from using Lion for no more than 10 minutes excluding the time I took to write this. I'll report with more stuff as I come across them.

Overall though, the first impression was a good one. I'm not regretting my upgrade, yet..

22. ThirtyThr33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Name ANY other OS you've installed the day was released and it was flawless.

23. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

How is that ********** relevant in the least? Christ, you asked for impressions and he gave you some. Shove it.

24. christeeezy macrumors member

LOL... Thank you.

OP, you specifically asked for dislikes. I'm sorry if I offended you :rolleyes:

25. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I love how going through my open apps is so flawless. The full screen pas are amazing. Mission control is going to take some getting used to. Ive also noticed some lag as well, which I think will be addressed in the next update. Overall, very impressed, and the 29.99 is a bargain. Thats for sure!