Lion in Iraq

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wieger54, Jul 24, 2011.

1. wieger54 macrumors newbie

Before anyone jumps the gun to say I'm trying to pirate software please read.

I'm currently over here in Iraq. We don't have the greatest of internet connections as you can imagine. I was able to download and install Lion OS X after 3 days of trying.

My question is can I pass around a DVD that I burnt Lion OS X on it to the other Mac users out here? Or do they have to download their own copy? Could they just purchase it online and then load the DVD? Or is that copy that I download registered to only me or something?

Thanks!

2. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hello

Ouch! In a word no, shhhhhhhhhhh :)

Believe it or not they could log into appstore as you and just install it.

3. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Yes you can. There is a proper way to do it though, there are many tutorials on Google that can show you how.

4. wieger54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks.

My main goal was trying to keep us Mac users from hogging up the bandwidth to download Lion. People get cranky when they can't Skype back home.

Back in my day all we had was a 10min phone once a week. :(

But another reason why I ask is because the App store sucks..well when I was trying to download Lion.

I had to keep the App store running whenever I had to stop. That meant leaving my laptop running. Because if I turned it off or completely quit the App store I would lose my progress on my download and would have to start over.

Never had that issue with iTunes.

5. mmduluth, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

mmduluth macrumors regular

He is not complaining about having to pay for the software at all. He is in Iraq. Maybe you missed that part? Imagine how slow the internet probably is, and like he said, people want to Skype their family back home and that probably causes a huge slowdown with whatever internet they have.

The OP specifically stated that they can pay for Lion and just use his disk to install with because it’s a lot faster. It took him 3 days to get Lion on his machine.

OP: I say go for it. I don’t advocate pirated software, but in your situation I can’t say I wouldn’t do it.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Lion still has some teething problems, notably with software that hasn't been updated to work with it yet. I'd recommend not updating especially as it might be tough to downgrade in a pinch if anyone has problems.

7. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

What the OP is saying sounds reasonable. He wants to know if they can purchase it online and activate the install from the CD so that it doesn't literally have to be downloaded every time. That's not pirating.

8. aristobrat, Jul 24, 2011

aristobrat macrumors G5

OP, as long as they purchase it via the App Store, they then have a legal license to use Lion, even if they don't immediately complete the 3.7GB download from the middle of Iraq.

9. mmduluth, Jul 24, 2011

mmduluth macrumors regular

There is no problem with the OP burning his copy to dvd and then sharing it with others if they buy a copy from the app store first.

And I am honest. I will not sit here and say I’ve never installed software that I didn’t pay for. And I’m not going to sit here and say that I paid for every single song in my iTunes library right now. Do I actively go out searching for pirated software? No. If a friend has something I want and they offer it to me though, I’ll take it.

Btw, I paid for my copy of Lion.

10. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

Read the post people. He is trying to see if people who HAVE bought lion can install it with a dvd because they have terrible internet connections there. Not stealing.

And to be honest, even if they did want to pirate it (keeping in mind the connection problems they have), who cares? They are in Iraq. Their LIVES are constantly on the line. These people are getting shot at and blown up and you people are getting annoyed because big fat Apple doesn't get $30???? You people need to rethink your priorities.

And this has nothing to do with politics or the legitimacy of the invasion of Iraq. Regardless of the circumstances, there are people in Iraq (on both sides, mind you) who's lives are in severe danger on a nearly constant basis. If you can't cut people like that some slack, then you need to re-evalutate the nature of your humanity.

Rant over.

11. wieger54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Didn't mean to cause a fight.

But like the others stated I was wondering if this could be a "LEGAL" work around for our slow connection issues.

Having them purchase it before I let them install off my DVD.

But anyway thanks everyone!
    Keep cool and stay safe.

12. wpotere Guest

Thanks for serving and stay safe.

13. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Why the rush to download Lion? Can't the others use their fully functional Snow Leopard til they get back stateside? Many users here are still waiting and not feeling any ill effects from the wait.

This is just a question, not a condemnation. I appreciate your service.

14. wieger54 thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem.
    Not everyone is upgrading. Some of us are going to wait till we get back.

My reason is so I can get a hands on before my parents upgrade theirs. So I can show them all the cool features and what not. And on the plus side for Apple I ended up talking a co-worker into buying a MBP after he saw Lion on mine.

We "try" to not let being over here put our lives on hold. Try being the key word. ;)

15. SpeedFleX, Jul 24, 2011

SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

I too would like to know this and somewhere I read that if you use the recovery partition it asks for the AppleID, if this is true wouldn't this make it "legal" to use the recovery partition to verify your install?

16. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If they pay for their copy, all should be good. I did a clean install of Lion with a bootable DVD I made from the download, and that required an internet connection and required me to login with my Apple account, which then resulted in a big download behind the scenes. So, if they have pre-Snow Leopard, they'll still be using a lot of bandwidth. The Lion install isn't an entire install, just an upgrade. That's just an FYI. I don't have any reason to believe they snuck in a token into the installer with my account.

Another possibility, if you can hold off, is that Apple will be offering a $69 flash drive with the installer so no download will be necessary. It's suppose to be available in August.

Another note since you're military, I've read some things about people having issues using their CAC on Lion. This may be another reason to hold off if the Mac is your work machine.