Lion in VM Fusion on 2012 11" i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by amd is the best, Jun 17, 2012.

1. amd is the best macrumors member

Hey guys,

I like to run Lion in a VM to test things out and I wanted to check out Lion Server. VM is ideal just in case something gets screwed up. I've run Lion on my 2011 i5 MBA and my 2011 i7 iMac without an issue. When I try to install Lion on my 2012 i7 I get the following error: "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system". Anyone else having issues with this?

2. amd is the best thread starter macrumors member

3. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Don't use the latest version of vmware. They disabled virtualization of Mac OS due to licensing in versions >4.1.0, i think.

4. dyn macrumors 68030

That only applies to the normal client versions of 10.5 and 10.6 and was indeed a screw up from VMware in Fusion 4.1.0 which they resolved in the next update of Fusion (4.1.1).

The server editions can be virtualised as of 10.5 (so 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7). The client version of 10.7 can also be virtualised but there is a catch to it: it can only be done with the version from the Mac App Store (aka the retail version). You can not and are not allowed to virtualise the Lion version that came with your Mac.

The above applies to Parallels Desktop for Mac, VMware Fusion and Oracle Virtualbox.

In the VMware knowledgebase there is an article about this error which might help (or at least explain what is going on): Understanding the message: The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. What also helps is reinstalling VMware Fusion with the newest version (that would be 4.1.2 if you are using 4 and 3.1.4 or something when you are using Fusion 3).

5. chrfr macrumors 603

This error happens because the Mac needs a later build of the operating system than is available from the App store. It would be fixed if Apple released a 10.7.5 installer in the App store, or with 10.8. Alternately you can go through the restore steps for getting the installer image for your Air from Apple and install it into VMWare Fusion. It will install and run even if it doesn't technically meet the license requirement of the OS.

6. dyn macrumors 68030

This is about installing Lion inside a vm, not physically on a new MBA. This is a known error with VMware Fusion that is most commonly fixed by reinstalling Fusion. Fusion also has a technical limitation of what OS X version you can run inside a vm. It will prevent any OS that isn't allowed to run by Apple.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

No, this is about an incompatibility with the new MBA and the retail version of Lion- even in a VM the retail version of Lion will not boot on a 2012 MBP/MBA. You can reinstall Fusion all day and it won't solve this problem.

EDIT: Information here on a workaround. Scroll down to the post by jmattson for the fix for Fusion 4.1.x. http://communities.vmware.com/thread/405898

8. dyn macrumors 68030

There are just too many things that are wrong:

1. It's title is "Running Mountain Lion DP 4.1 as host". Why? Because it is about running ML (aka 10.8) on an MBA 2012. The topicstarter of this thread here is running Lion (aka 10.7!) on an MBA 2012. Lion in that topic is only used as a guest OS, not as the host OS!

2. If you search for the error you get numerous causes, pointing to one specific cause would be idiotic. There are some that are commonly known, especially with the current stable version (aka 4.1.3). You can look into those.

3. If you test it yourself you'd see that running a 10.7.2 and a 10.7.3 Lion version will run without any problems in that new VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2012. Meaning that the cpu most definitely is not too new for Fusion.

4. Somebody in that topic has tested it with 10.5 Server and 10.6 Server which seem to be working ok. He only has problems with Lion. That doesn't sounds like a cpu recognition problem, more like some bug in VMware Fusion/Lion when running Mountain Lion as the host OS.