Lion INSISTS on re-opening apps on boot. Arg!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kirkbross, Mar 18, 2012.

1. kirkbross, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I often Shutdown my computer leaving apps open because I don't necessarily want to go to every app and close every document and then close the app. I often have four or five applications open and so when I want to shut down I simply hit control+eject then click Shut Down.

Lion re-opens every app I didn't close before shutting down.

I have gone into System Preferences and UNchecked the "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps."

Any suggestions on getting Lion to boot without opening any windows, any apps, any anything??

(short of a safe boot, naturally:)

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

closing it does not quit the app

you have to quit it from the menu bar or hit command q that will quit the app in the foreground

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is a setting in System Preferences to disable restoring apps on startup, but I can't remember where to find it at the moment.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

7. MisterTac406 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with Safari, even after I've quit the App.

8. kirkbross, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Why not close all my apps before shutting down? Because I don't want to. And never had to in the past. I know it's a petty complaint in the grand scheme of the universe, but I just think Lion is over-thinking this.

I often have 7-10 apps running over the course of an evening and when it's time to go to bed (usually after I've been away from the Mac for a few hours) I want to walk into my studio, hit CTRL-EJECT, RETURN and go to sleep. And, I don't want to begin my new session the next day closing all those apps I left open the previous night.

As an aside, nor do I want to have to UN-check the "restore windows" box every time I shut down.

9. blatopilot macrumors regular

There are many that agree with you on this. Probably my most hated feature of Lion. I don't want anything auto-saved, nor anything re-opened.

I haven't tried this, but I have seen similar suggestions:

http://www.easy-mode.com/prevent-os-x-lion-from-reopening-windows-when-logging-in/

My concern is, will it lead to Lion over reacting and panicking? Again, no evidence to suggest that is the case, I've had bad luck try to work around this issue.