Lion Install App

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mattash, Jul 13, 2011.

1. mattash macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just installed the Lion GM release on my Mac, and wanted to burn it to a disk to do a clean install sometime in the future. However, the app seems to have disappeared and I can't find it anywhere, even with hidden files shown. It is still installed according to the App Store, but maybe it is removed after it has been used, although that wasn't the case with the earlier releases.

Any ideas?

2. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

Use spotlight to search for "Lion" and sift through the results. If the App Store is reporting it's still installed, it might very well be. I can't think of an explanation for this other than that you're looking in the wrong place for some reason. The installer shouldn't instantaneously disappear.

If that isn't helpful, then try redownloading the app from the App Store. If it won't let you, try creating a new temporary user account on the computer (under System Preferences), launching the App Store, and entering your credentials to log in under the account that you used the Developer coupon for. If there was anything wrong with preference files in your home directory, this should clear it up since you're using a fresh account. Download Lion and be sure to back up the installer app this time.

3. mattash thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using spotlight but it wasn't there. Also tried making the new account as you suggested but when I logged in to the App Store using my dev account it still said installed. I'm just going wait and try downloading it onto a friends Mac and then transfer it back to mine. Thanks anyway though.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It does seem to get deleted once it's been installed. I restored mine from a Time Machine backup

5. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

This has been my situation too and am thankful for this thread. It's my intention to replace my hard drive and do a clean install of Lion. I've been reading postings about how to make an install disk (DVD) or use a flash drive to do this. Most of these posts involve using the Lion Installer app to make a bootable DVD or external or flash drive but like the OP my installer app disappeared as well. I've done some spotlight searches and it's been a no go.

My efforts at the Mac App store have been unsuccessful in finding a way to redownload the installer app again. It's my hope that when Lion is released to the masses there will be a way for me to download the installer app again. However, since Lion is already installed (the GM that is), this still might not work. Looks like I need to get to a Mac that doesn't have Lion, download the installer, and copy it before I run it.