LION install boots directly into OS X Utilities

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tj59510, Jul 21, 2011.

1. tj59510 macrumors newbie

Has anyone had this problem?

Downloaded the install pkg from the App store just fine, and phase I of install seemed to go well. But when it came time to restart to complete the "long" phase of the install, my MBP just went directly to the OS X Utilities with the 4 options ("Restore, Reinstall, Get Help, Disk Utility").

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. almerickso macrumors newbie

I have the same problem! I'm trying to install it on a MacBook Air 11".

It seems that it's booting into the Recovery Partition and it's not recognizing the hidden Installation Partition it creates for the install. This is a close to a probable explanation I can think of. I still haven't found a solution yet :(

3. almerickso macrumors newbie

Ok so I got it to work. I'm not sure which part of what I did made it work but I'll outline it for you just in case it helps.

1) When it boots into the recovery partition, quit the utilities and it will give you a few choices.
    2) Select "Select startup disk" and choose your hard drive with Mac OS 10.6.x
    3) It will boot back into Snow Leopard.
    4) Shut it down.
    5) Start it up. (At this point I actually left my MBA off for over an hour and went to tear down a wall in frustration (jk). When I tried to turn the MBA on, it wouldnt respond so I mashed a few buttons and finally got it to turn on. I rebooted it again for good measure and it was fine. Note: This may not apply to you)
    6) Click on the Lion installer on the dock and start the installation again.
    7) This time it eventually boots into the installer.

Good luck!

4. twistedl macrumors newbie

I have the same problem and have tried rebooting numerous times with no success

5. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Try holding option when you turn the machine on. You will see a list of bootable partitions. Try different ones, one should work. Hint: I don't think you want to select Recovery HD.

6. twistedl macrumors newbie

Tried that but I only get the installer partition, might have to resort to wiping the hard drive and starting fresh grrr