Lion install FAIL - Customer service FAIL - need help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mikefly, Nov 4, 2011.

1. mikefly macrumors regular

Hi,

I got my new macbook air today.. YAY!

When the OS arrived it had a 14GB Lion install, and I called up Apple Tech support to ask them if it was possible to reduce the footprint.

Tech support advised that the OS should only take up 7GB. He told me to erase the hard drive and reinstall the OS. He advised me this would take 45 minutes. I asked him repeatedly! if this was correct, because I had to leave the office shortly. He assured me it was no problem.

Then he told me that the rest of the install was in my hands, and ended the call.

As I discovered (and should have known), the install did not take 45 minutes... and I had to catch a train, so had to abort the install.

Now nothing works at all. I'm angry.

Below is what happens when I hold down option-R.

"Starting internet recovery this may take a while"

then

"Choose Network"
    I choose network.

Then it connects to the network and like magic, an exclamation (!) appears and says..

"apple.com/support
    -1006F"

then nothing.

This is not acceptable customer service. This is not a good way to spend my vacation.

Any advice appreciated. I'm going to bed.

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

That's your problem right there. Sounds like a foolish decision you took.

Your best option is probably to find someone with a Mac who can download Lion for you - and then put this on a USB flash drive.

Boot from that, re-wipe the drive and re-install.

3. Takashi macrumors regular

I think you should just return your macbook air and get a new one. It's quicker than having anyone here explain the steps needed to fix your issue.

Any avid computer user will know never abort an operating system installation as it can lead to unpredictable results. I guess you don't know that. One should always allow sufficient time (estimate 1 hour) to install any operating system whether it is windows or Mac. The apple tech did nothing wrong as the time required for TYPICAL OS installation is 45 min; however, it is only an estimated time as the time required for OS installation depends on computer configuration, system speed, size available on HD...etc.

You know what? Perhaps you should just take your macbook brick to an apple store and have a apple tech look at it. Make sure you explain to him or her that you interrupted OS/X Lion installation and see how he or she responds to you. Perhaps you should have the tech install the OS for you as you are on vacation and don't have time and patience.

4. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

Spoke with applecare this morning. They were helpful.

Went in to apple store, explained situation, dropped off my computer, and I was out in 5 minutes. The reinstall looked to be going fine. Will pick up later today.

@Takashi - thanks for the advice.

5. Takashi macrumors regular

Sorry if I came down on you in a harsh tone but I think giving the machine back to apple and have the tech figure it out is the best way. Is your new MBA and if your machine takes > 45 min "might" also indicate a potential hardware problem. Nevertheless, I am happy that apple is taking care of your MPA and you can enjoy your vacation.