Lion Install issues with MBAir 2011 model

Discussion in 'macOS' started by halledise, Aug 22, 2011.

1. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    is it just me or are others experiencing this same issue?

purchasing Lion thru the app store and then making a startup USB stick yields the result something like - 'this version of OS 10.7 cannot be installed on this Mac'

therefore, there's no way of having a physical install media in case of the need/desire to perform a fresh install or erase/install.
    and so we're tied to an internet connection and enough download allowance.

I'm loathe to spend Aus$75 on the newly released OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive and find the same result.

what is it with these new Airs - and is Apple intending to go the same way with the new MBPro's rumoured to be released towards the end of the year :confused:

2. halledise thread starter macrumors 65816

3. xpipe macrumors regular

Perhaps try the 10.7.1 available now on the app store? I seem to remember reading that the MBA shipped with a later build than the 10.7.0 available on the store. I'd love to hear if it works now.

4. gspannu macrumors member

10.7.1 has the same problem. This still does not work on the MBA 2011.

More interesting, although Apple had made 10.7.1 available on the App Store; if you have a MBA 2011; and you use Lion Recovery (and then auto download Lion from the internet) to instal a fresh copy of OS, only 10.7 gets downloaded.

You then have to update manually to 10.7.1

I've just done this yesterday...

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

If I remember correctly, the MacBook Airs, shipped with a different build installed, so the Mac App Store version wouldn't work (what you found out). As far as I know, you'll just have to wait and see what is released later.

6. halledise thread starter macrumors 65816

even downloading the 10.7.1 version from the AppStore won't install on the new Airs.

looks like the only way (devoid of the internet) is with the Aus$75 Apple usb stick.
    rort.