Lion install problem?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by aaron427, Mar 26, 2012.

1. aaron427 macrumors newbie

So my friend upgraded his iMac from leopard to snow leopard and it became insanely slow. Basically you couldn't do anything on it. So I decided to just do a clean install of lion instead. I erased the hard drive, and booted from the cd. Everything looked good except it is taking forever. I started it last night around 10:30pm, and it is just now on the install part. It isn't frozen because the progress bar does change. It said it had 15min at 11am and now(730) it says 6 min. left. What in the world is going on with this thing? Should I just let it continue to do its thing? Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. elmo151 Guest

don't forget to check permissions and run the Error check. That can slow you down quite a bit if there is a problem

3. aaron427 thread starter macrumors newbie

So 24 hours later it finally completed the install and everything. I ran the permissions, and verify disk. It moved a little faster when I finished that but once I rebooted it is now slow again. I tried some new memory I had and that didn't help. So could this be a harddrive issue? i thought for sure it was the snow leopard install since all this started right after that. How do I know if it is hd issue? Thanks

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You don't say what spec the machine is? That would help us a lot.

5. aaron427 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't remember what year it is. White Imac 2.2GHZ core duo, now has 4gb of memory (orginally came with 2GB, 120GB hd or 160. That is all I remember off the top of my head. If you need exact specs i can get those later tonight.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Hmm, it should run Lion, albeit not that quickly, it is an older Mac. 4GB is okay, 8 would be better, but it's not a deal breaker...The HDD @ 160GB isn't going far, but should install fine. How is it progressing now?

7. aaron427 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I thought. He is only using about 15gb of the space anyways. Like I said earlier all this started with the upgrade to snow leopard. I have read where others were having slow machines just doing the upgrade so I thought the clean install would fix the issues. So frustrating. Once you click on something you have to wait from 45 sec to 2min for something to open. It isn't specific to one or two programs either.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It could be symptomatic of a bad HDD too...I guess you have nothing to lose by trying really...You could run diagnostics on the drive to see, but it's a little old...Hard to be more specific I'm afraid.

9. aaron427 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't mind replacing the HD I just want to be sure it will fix it if I spend the money on it. How do you run diagnostics on the HD? Will a problem always show up if there really is one? Thanks for your help

10. aaron427 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

12. aaron427 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I am unable to run the hardware test. Tried with original cd and then with lion that is currently installed. Held the "d" down but it doesn't do anything. When I put the original cd in the hardware test has a line through it..

13. aaron427 thread starter macrumors newbie

Never mind I'm an idiot. Forgot I had to restart with original cd in while holding d.. It's running now

14. aaron427 thread starter macrumors newbie

No problems found.. What a pain. So could it still be the hd?