Lion installation password help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lawyergirl, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Lawyergirl macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I bought Lion online and installed it. The installation seems successful now I have a log in screen with my name asking for a password. The problem is that I have never had a password and the previous OS let one log in by just hitting the enter key with the password box blank. Lion doesn't let one do that. The password hint box that pops up is also likewise blank. How do I set a password for my MacBook pro without being to get to the system preferences?

I tried the suggestions of restarting holding down the options key and R and that did not give me the "terminal" option required to reset. The only four options I have are to reboot lion, go to a back up of thet old snow leopard version on a hard disk, search online, and one other option (I forget what). Please help.

2. salacious macrumors 6502a

where did you buy it? and i set up 8 mac pros for my company lion certainly does let you just press enter with no password inputted, just re-install the software again..

3. Lawyergirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks salacious

bought it online from the mac store and downloaded it

4. salacious macrumors 6502a

and you set it up with no password? i just remembered a funny bug on one of the machines which wouldnt allow admin to log on or even a standard no account password, restart your mac and try to login, if not then the quickest option for now is to just re-install which doesnt take to long..

5. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

have you tried your apple password? if you downloaded it from the appstore, you used your apple id.

try that...