Lion installer.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by TheGdog, Jul 12, 2011.

1. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

Ok, so I could not find any real detailed info on this. I hope this is not a redundant post.

I would like to do I completely clean install. If I were to Copy the Lion DMG to DVD (as many sites have posted how to do) and install from the disk would it still install the recovery partition? My guess is that the lion install app you get from the app store makes the partition and then boots to that for the installation? Otherwise I can't see what the actually lion app does? I just want to make sure my doing the install from a homemade DVD or Flash Drive, I will not miss out on anything that the installation app does, including the recovery partition.

Perhaps I should just reinstall SL?

2. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

gosh if only a dvd install would skip the recovery partition and just let me recover from the DVD that i've burned using the DMG, but alas ...

you won't be missing out on anything because the DVD install too creates that 5gb recovery partition. in my case wasting valuable SSD HDD space.

3. TheGdog thread starter macrumors 6502

TheGdog

Good to know, but then what does this "Lion App do"?

4. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

it contains the download receipt, the tools to extract the install files, checksums, all the administrative stuff the appstore needs to know you've bought and downloaded the app and whatnot.

6. TheGdog thread starter macrumors 6502

TheGdog

So will not using the installer effect the validity of the my install to the app store if it needs the receipt?

7. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

well it's not the way SJ wants you to install lion, by burning the dvd. but from what i have read and seen myself the end result will be 100% the same, valid and legal (if you buy it of course). It does not check online if you used the installer.

you can legally install lion on all your macs by copying the installer app to all you systems without going through the app store again, and those are valid installs as well.

8. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

Apple has never said that they don't want you to install Lion one way or the other; they are simply doing what they have always done - focus on ease of use and practicality for the masses; For most people that have Macs, the in-place upgrade will be the common way to do an install. This is the easiest and least "technical" path. Keep in mind, the people that are visiting this forum for the most part are not "normal users" and would therefore be more likely to use alternative, power user installation methods like the "clean install".

If Apple wanted to keep you from doing a "clean install" they would never have included the .dmg file so readily accessible in the package's contents. This DMG file will undoubtedly be used to create network installs (inside large corporations and educational institutions). If nothing else, it is a way to mitigate the "overwhelming traffic" that will hit the app store when Lion comes out. Think about it, if I have 4 Macs in my house - and one $30 license for Lion will legally cover my home usage, do you really think Apple wants me hitting their servers for 4 distinct 4GB downloads - when I could download it just once?

John