Lion Internet Recovery Image?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by agentphish, Aug 22, 2011.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

So I want to be able to create a bootable Lion installer for my 2011 Mac Mini.

When I attempted to use the default Lion installer from the InstallESD.dmg it would not boot on the mini. I simply got a prohibitory sign.

Does anyone know if there's a way to "capture" the image of Lion that it uses to install on a 2011 Mac Mini when you do an Internet Recovery so that I can have a bootable install image for Lion for this specific Machine, or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Thanks

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Doesn't that still need a connection to the internet to download the OS (like the Recovery Partition)?

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Yeah, it does require an internet connection. At present I don't think that there is a way to get a bootable Lion install disk for the MacBook Airs and Mac minis that were recently released as they are using a different (newer) build of Lion than that available for download from the Mac App Store or for purchase from Apple on USB drive. The only thing that I can think of that wouldn't require the internet is to make a bootable clone of the hard drive to an external hard drive.

4. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Yeah I ended up wiping one of my externals and creating a multi-partition scheme, which i'd been meaning to do anyhow.

I have bootable 10.6.8, 10.7.1 for my MacBook Pro and 10.7.1 for my 2011 Mini.

I have bootable installers of 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7 (Pre-2011 models only).

Then I used lion internet recovery to install lion to my external drive on an empty partition. Once installed, I cloned that partition to a DMG that I can restore later if I need to clean install for my Mac Mini 2011.

If I had thought about it I would have cloned my mini drive immediately before I set it up the first time.

All that and I still have about 920gb free for backups for which I use crashplan.