Lion is awesome. Period.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cambookpro, Jul 20, 2011.

1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Despite Lion being a fantastic new upgrade, on the first page of this forum I have yet to see a thread about how good it is, yet only ones about the tiny flaws.

For me, full screen apps ROCK. Have been playing around with them for about an hour and already couldn't go back to SL with non-full screen apps. I also really like the new 'modern aqua' interface. Looks so much more sleek.

So, what's your favourite feature, or have you yet to take the plunge? Trust me, it's worth it :D

2. tkermit, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

In the long run, I think, the combination of Versions, Autosave and Resume will be my favorite feature. John Siracusa has it right when he writes that " From now on, Mac OS X should be judged by what's been removed". In this case, a good deal of worries dealing with application processes and document management have been eliminated, at least from my point of view.

:)

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I love full screen apps, but I wish every app had that option now as it's not really built into the OS but the apps themselves need compatibility.

I like mission control, but I find launchpad to be a complete waste of resources.

I like resume, but sometimes I wish not everything would come back after a restart.

I do like the slight graphical changes to the UI. I don't really see a bunch of great advantages though over Snow Leopard. I mean it's nice but I don't feel like it's enough to warrant another 10.x release for. I also think there needs to be a better way for old hardware to clean install. I realize Apple wants everyone to buy a new Mac with every update, but it's not reasonable for most people to do that.

4. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

J'adore launchpad. In SL I replaced the Applications folder in my dock with a duplicate full of aliases so that loading it on startup would take slightly less than a decade. Essentially launchpad is just that but nicer.

5. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Agree. So often people just come to complain, hearing some good things would be nice for a change.

Me, I'm loving Lion. The gestures, full screen apps, versions and mission control.

Way to go Apple!!!

6. JamesM macrumors regular

7. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I'm really happy with my copy as well. Few bugs that should be fixed soon but other than that all is good. Getting quite good at the backwards scrolling even though I've had an iPhone since 2007. Going to be confusing using other computers without the inverted scrolling, I already sometimes swipe to go back on them :p

8. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like Lion too for what I have seen so far.
    The gestures are actually nice and my trackpad now makes sense.
    Launchpad is ok ; mission control too.

My only two concerns right now are the increased security on AFP blowing up my NAS and fullscreen in case of muli-display setup. Second screen become meaningless.

But still: well done Apple; upgrade went smooth on all four macs

9. reese637 macrumors newbie

reese637

I think that the combo of MC and Resume make an awesome OS. I love having different desktops of full screen apps that I can switch between and then having them be replaced just how I liked it when I log back in. Autosave is like the future of productivity. And the new photo booth effects are pretty cool, too.
    Overall, think this is the best release of OSX to date. :)

10. reese637 macrumors newbie

reese637

If you would like, you can change the backwards scrolling in System Pref > Trackpad > Scroll & Zoom :)

11. bluap84 macrumors 6502

i happen to agree, i done a massive clean on in SL, deleted loads of apps i didnt use. Cleaned my mac using cleanmymac. Just has a massive clean out...started the download of Lion went to the pub

just installed it over SL all is fine. Apps take a lil longer to load. but thats to be expected will def upgrade to 12gb of ram just because it will help

so far so good...

12. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

Oh yes, lest I forget: smart zoom is pretty good too.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I only have it on my Air right now because my Pro is my work machine and its important that I don't upgrade until I cam ensure Maya, Unity, Houdini, Corel Painter, Photoshop, and a slew of others work flawlessly with it first. (As soon as they do I'm probably upgrading!)

It feels much faster than SL and I love Launchpad (which is strange cause I didn't think it would be a big deal). I have a few things I don't like about it but I sent my feedback to Apple.com/feedback.

14. meagain macrumors 68030

How is it awesome if you're a heavy Safari user who runs tons of windows at any given time? I can't even find/see what windows I have open

15. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

As upgrades go, it's mediocre at best. "Awesome"? Really? Low bar.

16. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Have you tried App Exposé?

17. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have to admit, I was totally wrong about Launchpad. I, like many, had seen it as superfluous, but it really is great, maybe even my top feature of Likn, time will tell.

It's allowed me to narrow down my Dock to only the essential Apps: iTunes, Mail, Final Cut & Safari, whilst still allowing quick access to less essential, but still important apps, like iCal and iPhoto amongst others.

Overall I'm really happy with the update, the OS team have done a really good job and should be applauded.

18. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Full screen mode is only great for users who don't multitask like a pro. Pro users could care less. For me most of the new features are meaningless, but some minor things stand out as helpful. Applying different desktops to different virtual desktops helps to visually organize.

Overall, the hype over Lion is a little much, but same is with every update. The kids come in and get super-excited at release like it's everything, then they go back to saying "omg i need that next thing". Rinse, repeat, reboot.

19. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

That really depends less on the user than the task at hand though. Not every tasks requires or profits from Multitasking. Using Xcode or even Terminal in Full Screen for example can actually be pretty awesome to shut out everything else for a while.

20. rayward macrumors 68000

I set Lion downloading this morning so that I could pop home at lunch to install it. On the way, I grabbed a Magic Trackpad as it only makes sense (to me) to have one if upgrading to Lion.

I haven't had much time to play, but the initial irritations of learning the trackpad are minor compared to the ease of access to things like Mission Control. I've never bothered with Spaces before - I would close apps I wasn't using to avoid clutter - but now I can see me setting up multiple Spaces so that I can leave the apps open in their various workgroups and just swipe to them via Mission Control.

By pure luck, I also downloaded the iTunes update (just an old Windows reflex to look for updates after an update). That's a nice bonus.

I really like the iOSification of many of the apps. Mail, in particular, is one that is greatly improved by the imports from the iPad app.

I have a 27" iMac, so I doubt I'll be running many, if any, apps in full screen. But simple things like the ability to resize windows from any corner will make my mosaic of open windows much easier to fit together. This combined with Spaces (above) will make my desktop(s) much more pleasant.