Lion is the first OSX release I've had absolutely zero interest in...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JesterJJZ, Dec 19, 2011.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I brought this up in another thread and seemed to get a lot of similar vibes.

My first personal Mac was a Dual 500 G4. It came with OS9. I've always been interested the development of OSX since it came out and awaited each new version with baited breath. I would always preorder the new version if I could, even if I didn't install it right away, I usually wait a while before I do. But I HAD it. The same was true for each version and the anticipation and excitement grew with each version to come along. Waiting for Tiger and Leopard in particular was an awesome right. Apple fanboy in his prime!

All that said...

For me, Lion came and went (is) without any fanfare. I didn't really bother with keeping up on new developments. I don't really know or care about any "new" features it may have. Does it even? Does an Appstore DL make it lame? What, do disc? Has what Apple has done with Final Cut Pro made me bitter? Whatever the case, I never bought it, heck I don't even remember when it was released. Simply put, I couldn't care less about Lion.

Is that weird? It's for no apparent reason it seems. Do I subconsciously feel Snow Leopard is the pinnacle of OSX? I really don't know. When thinking about a new Mac Pro one of the first things to cross my mind is "I wonder if it will run SL?"

Anyone else notice this on this round of OSX?

Lion what? :confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Similar arguments were bantered about for Snow Leopard when it was first released and if you did a simple search, you'd see a number of threads bemoaning Lion and apple's failure

3. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Those who hated Snow Leopard went away when 10.6.2 came along. But now, there's a new thread about Lion's problems every week.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The only thing I like about Lion is the minimalistic GUI without scrollbars.
    Bad battery life on especially all hardware other than 2011. Full screen and Mission Controll implemented for use on small monitors but with unsufficient options to make it feasable on multimonitor stuff and big screens.
    And really not a single feature where you think great I need this.
    Invisible scrollbars with all those shortcomings is not worth 30 bucks. Hell it isn't worth any money at all.

Snow Leopard was different. It was mostly the same OS but with many pefromance improvements. It didn't behave much differently but it was better.
    Lion behaves a little different and often in a bad way but is much worse.
    If an OS needs so much more ressources especially on older systems it really needs some killer features and improvements to make up for it but it doesn't just fall short in that department it is even worse.

I think Lion is a good OS on a 13" Air but it doesn't deliver anything for the 15" and bigger notebooks, it just makes things worse.

5. pjo macrumors regular

os x server

One thing I rarely see mentioned is Lion server includes an Xsan license (previously a $1,000 purchase).

Unfortunately the demise of the x-serves makes this mostly moot. At best the Mac Pros (while they last) can be used to be effective X-SAN nodes. No, I don't think using the same ethernet card for both storage and "net" works.

6. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Well, all I can say is that my iMac starts faster, runs faster and operates more efficiently with Lion. For $30 I just don't see a debate. So I guess you can count me out as someone who thinks Lion isn't worth the bother.

7. goodcow macrumors 6502a

There's absolutely zero compelling reason to update to Lion other than it being mandatory for iCloud support. Which frankly, is absolutely absurd, considering they're willing to support Windows Vista.

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That is my only reason to consider upgrading to Lion. I bought Snow Leopard back the day it was released - my Mac is significantly faster (it was a $30 speed upgrade from Leopard - and it was worth it).

I think with Lion, Apple crossed the line on dumbing-down the OS. Apple's appeal was always ease of use but with Lion, it went too far (why get rid of scroll bars, they give a sense of position within a page?).

Unfortunately, like all you, my next Mac will ship only with Lion & I'll be forced to use it.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have absolutely no reason to complain with Lion. its sped up my mac, and any new features that i don't like are easy enough to ignore. but overall for the price, i am certainly happy with it.

10. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Absurd? $30 simply for iCloud support actually sounds reasonable to me. :)

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

That might be true, but it isn't. People kept complaining all the way to 10.6.8. People complained with 10.5 and 10.4 too. And I bet when 10.8 (or whatever comes next) is released, people will be saying that 10.7 was awesome but 10.8 sucks.

Besides, we're still on 10.7.2. By your logic, 10.7.3 should be perfect.

12. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

I guess your logic needs a little workout - If you took what a said as a logical deduction, 10.7.2 should have been perfect. :rolleyes:

Plus I could hardly find people complaining about 10.6.3-10.6.8. Most of them are hardware problems and erroneous preferences.

13. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You are correct. Still, 10.6.2 wasn't perfect, and neither were the succeeding releases.

You could hardly find them? Look harder. For a small sample, there's dropped WiFi, Mail password problems, slow reboots, mesed-up GPUs, and so on.

14. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Really? First, iCloud is free and should be free because Google and Microsoft provide similar services. It's expected in our current generation of web enabled devices.

Second, there's no reason iCloud should require Lion. Snow Leopard could support it, they just choose not to because they want to force people to upgrade.

15. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I was in the same boat as you, big fan of SL but not so much with Lion, especially in order to sync your iCloud you need Lion, then again I prefer Lion to Windows 7 or any Windows period, I despise MS 1000%, bad enough i have to use it at work...

What I did was this, because once I got used to the encoding and other speeds of my 2011 mini with the i5, it is hard to go back to a C2D.

I have a 2009 uMB with 2.4/4GB/500GB for most every day types of uses, except I do not keep iTunes on it, do not sync my phone, basically just web browsing and basic stuff.

2011 Mini with i5 2.3/8GB/1.5TB

iTunes Library is on it, syncs with iPhone and iCloud, use this for most heavy uses like ripping and encoding, just does it so much faster hard to go back to C2D for this stuff.

I agree Lion has a short fall especially that they took sidebars away and color icons in the finder? you would think Apple is all Glitz they would keep this, but they didn't. If I could put SL on my 2011 Mini I would, but I am not about to spend hours hacking around to get it to work. I can not seem to locate a i5 2.3 or 2.7 Refurb 13" MBP with SL anymore, all Apple seems to sell is Lion with these older units, so I am stuck running both. If I could easily put SL on the Mini, I would in a hearbeat, but until the next OS, I am running both units with both OSX SL and Lion :(

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Be happy you didn't pay 130$ instead.

Lion is the OS that came install with my First Intel Mac, so that's what I am learning. Running on a 13 inch Pro theres' nothing wrong but I can see where the issue of screen size comes into play.

The only gripe I have about it is that it's too touch-wannabe. I love the trackpad gestures a lot but I like my external mouse too. I can barely use my external mouse because the OS is so designed for multitouch it feels way too awkward to use my mouse in things other than gaming (and Photoshop). Mission Control can become annoying considering it doesn't show you all the app windows like Expose did, but I think the Launchpad is one of the best features since all you have to do is hit a button/do a gesture, and every program installed just shows up. It's great. The OS is a great OS, but very influenced by iOS, so it doesn't feel right when not using multitouch gestures or when on a Desktop.

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

First, the services from Google and Microsoft are ad supported. Second, it's a one-time $30 fee. For all the Macs that you own. For a desktop OS upgrade. Hardly absurd.

18. goodcow macrumors 6502a

If you throw all your data into Google or Microsoft's clouds through the iOS interface, you never see the ads anyway, so that's a moot point.

I never said $30 for a desktop OS is absurd, I just think it's ridiculous that iCloud requires Lion, yet it can support Windows Vista, which came out in 2006.

19. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I never said $30 for a desktop OS is absurd, I just think it's ridiculous that iCloud requires Lion, yet it can support Windows Vista, which came out in 2006.[/QUOTE]

100% Agree, I also think with the new 2011 systems, forcing ppl to get Windows 7 is a dumb move, I hate Windows, but I already own Vista and XP which run well in boot camp, so why do I now need to spend another $129 to buy Windows 7, just a dumb move if you ask me.

20. r0k, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

^ this. I have been looking for a way to put XP back on my old Acer netbook so I can sell the thing since my iPad has replaced it. The XP CD is nowhere to be found. When I got the machine, there was an offer to get it free in the mail. I didn't respond at the time. Then there was a class action where I could have gotten it from Acer. I didn't respond at the time. Now I guess I'll have to just sell the thing with Ubuntu and write off any more I might have gotten if it had its original OS.

I believe I can still get an original OS CD or DVD from Apple with a serial number. It might cost a modest fee but I can still get Tiger for my old G4 Mini if I want it. Not my Aspire One. MS has shut down the ability to ship XP CDs so they can force people to deal with 7.

So even MS has dropped support for Vista but Apple supports it while they don't support a one generation older of their own OS. I had hoped Apple would finally cave in and allow iCloud support on SL but the best I have seen is manual workarounds to set up icloud as an IMAP account in mail.app. All this ranting at Apple for requiring Lion to use iCloud is understandable but Apple's "offense" pales in comparison to dealing with Microsoft. So yes it annoyed me to drag all my Macs kicking and screaming to Lion so we could move from mobile me to iCloud but... Every time I go near that steaming pile of MS excrement, whether at work or whether dealing with finding a way to get XP back on my netbook, I look forward to getting home so I can sit down in front of good old (new?) OS X Lion 10.7.3.

BTW, I have decided not another penny of my money will go to Redmond, Wa. I have 6 Macs and have paid for 3 OSX upgrades but MS still holds more of my money for much less value.