Lion issues - corrupted install - loss of NAS - crashplan stopped

Discussion in 'macOS' started by r0k, Jul 26, 2011.

1. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I've had a few bumps in the road going to Lion.

First of all, I attempted to follow suggestions over at ars to back up the installesd.dmg so I wouldn't have to suffer through the full Lion download on every computer I want to upgrade. I copied the files to an NAS (Lacie Network Space 2) and assumed they were good. They were not. Somehow the dmg got corrupted so when I downloaded it to another machine in the house it would not run. Since Lion goes and deletes the local copy, I had no backup. Well that's not entirely true. I had burned a copy of the dmg to an 8 gig sd card. Lucky for me it was not corrupted so I made myself a new DMG and copied it inside Install OS X Lion.app replacing the corrupted one.

It was then that I noticed I couldn't log in to my NAS any more except as guest. It turns out Apple decided to change the way remote logins work in Lion and this broke a lot of things. The VNC viewers on my iPad and iPhone no longer work and I can't log in to any NAS drive without a firmware update. I started the LaCie update last night around midnight. The thing is, I'd rather deal with firmware updates on my schedule, not Apple's. :mad:

Lastly Crashplan simply stopped working. And I didn't get a warning email until 5 days had gone by. I guess that's an email setting on my part and while I do hate being bombarded with email, I would think the "something is broken" email would come through (from Crashplan) faster than 5 days! It turns out I need to take some manual action to make it work again. It has something to do with Java. How un-Apple like. Remember the whole "just works" premise? Apple has skipped ahead to resumable apps and you shouldn't have to care about which apps are running or not but lost sight of keeping essential stuff working when upgrading from one version of OS X to the next. And please don't even try to tell me backing up with crashplan is not essential.

I'm not ready to join the cranky users who complain about Lion but Apple could have done a better job of making sure the services I use were not interrupted when upgrading to Lion. Apple should have informed developers of NAS products that an update would be required so that all of us could have had our new firmware BEFORE Lion came out, if those companies chose to be proactive. From what I'm hearing, Apple didn't tell anybody and we had to all find out together when non Apple NAS simply stopped working. It turns out the upgrade for my NAS from Lacie didn't appear until 7/22 and when I try to get it automatically it fails (could be a Lacie issue).

I'm confident these issues will be ironed out quickly but I'm wondering if I should have waited a week or two so I could already have the new firmware and updated 3rd party apps before I pulled the trigger on the upgrade.

2. MikeEvangelist macrumors newbie

MikeEvangelist

Unlike previous versions of OS X, Lion doesn't include Java, which is required by CrashPlan. But the solution is very simple: after installing Lion, just launch the CrashPlan application and Java will automatically be loaded and the backup process will resume.

Mike (from CrashPlan)

3. r0k thread starter macrumors 68040

r0k

Done. Thanks!

I was still a little surprised I didn't see a failed backup message for 5 days but again that's probably some nonag setting I picked.

Redownloaded Lion on my son's mbp. Backed it up to a usb hdd and checked the embedded dmg checksum before I installed and allowed Lion to delete its own install file.

Also got NAS working with a LaCie firmware update dated 7/22/11.

Now just waiting for iTap to get updated to work with Lion.