Lion... It Grows On You

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by natd1993, Jul 13, 2011.

1. natd1993 macrumors regular

natd1993

I'll be honest, when I first installed the GM edition of Lion, I hated it. With a passion. It seemed slow and sluggish compared to SL, with my fans working more than usual, and RAM usage being alot higher. I tried extensively to downgrade to SL, heck, I was even prepared to sacrifice years of files to go back to old Snowy. Then, after about 3 days, those thoughts went.

Lion, and all it's new additions, just take alot of getting used to. Sure, it was nice having Expose and Spaces as separate apps in SL, but if you remember the efficiency of them, Mission Control is a whole lot better. Instead of flicking through your spaces, gesturing or keying to launch expose to find what you're running, all one has to do now is press a single key, and everything is presented, in a neat, organised way. Resume is also another awesome feature.

I guess all I'm trying to say in this very badly structured argument, is that you should give Lion a chance. It grows on you...

P.S. I'm running Lion on a MacBook Pro Mid 2009, with a 2.26GHZ and 2GB RAM. I intend to upgrade to 4, possibly 8, but Lion still feels alot more efficient and generally quicker than SL did.

:apple:

2. PaulWog Suspended

The last Apple operating system I ever used was back in 2004 or 2005. It was some pre-2000 OS I believe, on one of those plastic all-in-one CRT Macs. Plastic seethrough blue, simplistic layout.

So really, I don't think I'll feel awkward using Lion :D Can't miss what I didn't try before-hand.

3. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

So it felt sluggish compared to SL, but it feels better now?

I'm really looking forward to using what Apple has been working on. I have an i7 iMac with 16GB memory, so I'm not worried about sluggishness. Bring it on, I can't wait!

(backup plan is also in place just in case of disaster :))

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yup, same here - looking forward to the final release. I've also got a redundant backup... you know, just in case ;)

5. hopejr macrumors 6502

That would probably be OS 9 on one of the first iMacs. Lion is waaaay better than that, so I'm sure you'll like it.

6. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

I'll reiterate.

Lion is the best release since Tiger. Leopard added some great UI additions which changed the entire outlook from Tiger; I think if we look carefully the UI additions themselves are a huge upgrade since Leopard/SL.

Lion is simply awesome!

7. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

Exactly, although i have to admit that i started to love it from very beginning.
    Now i even have a Lion backup, so goodbye SL. :D

8. o'glory macrumors member

Is Resume compatible with the Microsoft Office 2011 suite?

9. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Hey so I was wondering, is lion slower? or does anyone know this?

I mean they added a bunch of features, they did however simplify some things such as mission control adding all the other functions together.

So I'm wondering is there an effect on the speed, is it faster, slower, slight difference, or about the same.

Honestly there are only like 3 features i would use on lion if I were to have it right now.

10. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I actually liked Lion from the very first moment I started using it. But I agree that it continues to grow on you as you use it:)

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's too hard to say. Assuming everyone has the proper hardware (requirements), a fresh install is going to feel fast and snappy just like any other OS. The true test is what happens over time. For me, using the base Late-2008 MacBook Pro w/4GB RAM, it hasn't struggled. It isn't always smooth but I could attribute that to early drivers and could be improved with future updates.

From reading the threads, Mission Control is a hit/miss depending user, you'll have to test it out yourself to come to a conclusion.

There are reasons to like Lion but depending on the user, it might or might not be an upgrade option now but maybe in the future.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not yet.

13. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Its growing all right, growing my swap to 4gb

14. iLog.Genius, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

lmao.

15. parrishr13 macrumors newbie

parrishr13

I still can't decide whether to downgrade to SL or keep the beta and upgrade tonight/tomorrow. I'm sure I will love Lion when the final is released (with no ****ing bugs).

16. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I was all ready to upgrade to Lion until I found out that they were killing Spaces as it exists in SL. That's my primary way of moving around apps, so of course I wasn't terribly happy about that.

But after giving Lion a try, and finding out eactly how the new Spaces works, I think I can still use it *essentially* how I use it today. So it looks like I'll be upgrading immediately.

There are plenty of features I won't be using, such as launchpad and dashboard (which I already haven't used in Leopard/Snow Leopard), but Lion as a whole should be a great upgrade :)

17. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

Need to send Lion to Gb Anonymous.

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Err...assuming you're using GM, that is the final version. Small chance Apple releases a second GM.

19. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I too, love Lion and don't have many issues. Although it took a couple days to get used to it.

Although Steam is leaking memory right now. At least it isn't hemorrhaging like Safari likes too. :rolleyes:

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I just noticed this about Safari...it won't save passwords if you check the "remember me" on forums. You can leave the page and go back to it but once you quit and then go back to the site, you have to login again. :mad: I've tried to reset Safari, delete .plists, checked keychain but it won't save!

21. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Safari remembers me here on MR.

22. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I can't get it to save for some reason. :confused:

23. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I'm not booted into Lion right now...

What happens if you go into Safari's preferences under "Auto Fill" and toggle on the "remember passwords" option?

24. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Works for me. Clean install, by the way.

25. ATC macrumors 6502a

I kept going back and forth between Lion GM and SL but I started to realize that every time I'm in SL, there are more and more things that I'm missing that are in Lion. It's weird but the list keeps growing to the point that over the past few days I started to use Lion full time and I'm not missing SL at all now. Yep, it's a good OS. :)