Lion just a Candy upgrade or useful for Pro users?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by clank72, Jul 20, 2011.

1. clank72 macrumors regular

I very rarely use fancy gimmicky features in the Mac OS, let alone Apps from the Apple Store. It seems to be most beneficial on a Mac Book or ipad.

But how about Mac Pro users? I really don't see a use for having safari go full screen on a 30" display. I use Gmail, so the new mail flare wouldn't suit me. And gestures on a desktop? How about users trying to get real work done that are not dicking around with family photos and slideshows?

I'm using Photoshop, and Premiere Pro on a daily basis. Other then the flashy features of the Lion, are there any performance enhancements that lie beneath?

2. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Well, with lion, you will get security update for longer than SL, when it will be discontinued...

3. strausd macrumors 68030

Candy. They take away many of the useful productivity features with Spaces and Exposé because they merged into Mission Control. Not to mention how lame the name Mission Control sounds.

4. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

My Mac Mini seems to be running much faster under Lion than SL. I did an in-place upgrade, not a clean install.

I think for Photoshop/editing software, you're still going to want to use a mouse, so that limits the usefulness of gestures while using those apps. I have a 37" display and when I go fullscreen, it is very large, but the advantage is using gestures to move from fullscreen app to fullscreen app.

I love Mission Control. I also love gestures for changing full screen apps. Much faster. That said, i believe that anyone who was using Spaces before (I wasn't) probably won't find it a huge improvement.

I also have to say that the updated Mail is the first Mail version that got me to stop using a browser for Gmail.

Ars Technica's review showed that all Apple apps are now sandboxed, and third party apps in the App Store will be forced to offer sandboxed versions starting next year, I think, so that does theoretically add another layer of security.