Lion keeps going back to old settings after restart

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jezabelle, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Jezabelle macrumors newbie

I bought a MacBook pro from my friend with lion. Everytime I change the user name and password and I restart, it goes back to his username and I have to put in his password instead of my new one. The new one I made just disappears!? In fact, anything I change just disappears and goes back to before.
    I even tried reinstalling lion but it loaded back up to the same old users.
    Help!

~Jezabelle

Ps-this is my first post but as a new Mac user I plan to learn as much as I can from here and learn how to do things right! : )

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

You could make a new account and delete the old one. Strange problem you have though.

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

In OS X, you cannot "change" the short user's name easily. It can be done, but it is rather complex and error prone for a novice OS X user, so I cannot recommend that procedure. As suggested above, just create a new user (System Preferences - Accounts), choose your new User name and password, and make it an Admin account. Check the Login options, make sure you have it set to ask for the User on startup/login (you can change to automatic startup later), and log out of the old account, then log in to the one you just created. Then delete the old account. Backup any files you need located in that old account's home folder first! Applications do not require any backup. You can try backing files up to the "Shared" folder in the "Users" folder, but also copying them to an external HD is always a good idea.
    After you have your new account set up and running, copy the backed up files to that new account and away you go. :cool:
    Run Disk Utility and Repair permissions too (one time should be enough for many months).
    BTW, what model is your "new" MBP? I have an increasingly older 2009 model that has been Very dependable, and a friend has a 2006 Macbook he swears by.
    Many Mac users keep on trucking with older machines, I just cannot justify spending the bucks for a new model, when this old one does everything I ask of it! I hope you learn how to use and enjoy your "new" Mac! :cool::apple::cool:

4. Jezabelle thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I fixed it! I just formatted it and reinstalled lion, hopefully that'll do the trick. *crosses fingers*