Lion keyboard issue

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bizzle, Aug 8, 2011.

1. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Anyone else having an issue with Lion and your keyboard where keys just stop working? I randomly lose I and L. I don't believe this is hardware related because I can sometimes switch applications and it comes back. I've read about this bug on Apple support forums but all of the fixes have not worked.

What I've done so far;
    reinstalled (not clean)
    deleted entire /Library/Preferences
    deleted various plists from user Library, com.apple.dock.plist, com.apple.systempreferences.plist, com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist.. others that I can't remember

I've turned key repeat back to the default setting (off).

I have noticed I sometimes can switch to Terminal, type the letter and it fixes itself. Bug reports I've read point to Mission Control but I do not use it at all and have all key shortcuts to it turned off. Launchpad has made this happen three times in a row.. and magically it will start working again sometimes without switching applications.

It's still randomly happening and happened four times in the time just to type this post.

I am about five seconds away from giving this machine the old yeller treatment out of frustration.

2. bizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also noticed the number 8 stops working, there may be other keys but I don't use them enough to notice.

3. taylortm macrumors member

Wired or wireless keyboard?

If wireless, consider the possibility that it's some sort of interference. On my (non-mac) computer at work, the wireless keyboard would give up on certain keys when the battery was getting low. Ds and Ls, in my case. When those two letters started requiring multiple keystrokes, I knew it was time for new batteries.

4. bizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a 17" MacBook Pro, the internal keyboard. It's hardware related.. the timing before of how it stopped when booted to something else was purely coincidence.