Lion Launcher hinting at Touchscreen Macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Snowcat, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Snowcat macrumors newbie

The Launcher, in my opinion, will never be more useful than the dock when you're using a mouse. Its only advantage would be when you're using your finger on a touchscreen. It was made to mimic the iPad interface, after all. I don't have any sources to support this, but I think it's a hint that Macbooks will have touchscreens soon.

Otherwise, the Launcher will die the same painful death it died the first time they tried it in OS 7 and 8.

2. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Won't happen. The way the Macbook Pro, or laptops in general are designed would have you extend your arm every time you wanted to execute an action via touch screen. People don't want to move their arms any more. lol. Like I've said before, the reason touch works with phones is that you can keep your arm, and elbow tucked to your side while using the touch. Imagine extending your arm for 5 hours working on something on your MBP. I don't care who you are, it's not going to be enjoyable.
    I could see it working if your phone was in sync with the same program you are running on your Macbook Pro and utilizing the touch screen on the phone to perform actions on the laptop though.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think you missed Apple's patent on an iMac the lowers to an angle for using with a touchscreen. I realize they may never use it but they've certainly been toying with the idea of a touchscreen Mac.

As big of sellers as the iDevices have been, Apple would be nuts not to pursue a touchscreen Mac.

4. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Your right, I did miss it. That looks very interesting indeed. Thanks for this. I will happily eat my words on that one. If they could develop this into the MBP. I would get one.

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

It's possible for them to make it work.

But it would be foolish of them to implement a touch screen in a Macbook Pro or an iMac (I don't care how many patents they're applying for, it's a stupid way to use a computer).

What they can do is introduce a new line of tablet macbooks. That would make sense.

6. Alpha.K macrumors member

They already tried touchscreen Macbook prototypes but apparently a touch interface does not work well on a vertical interface.