Lion Licenses question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by crazy$hark, Aug 5, 2011.

1. crazy$hark macrumors regular

crazy$hark

I heard that when u purchase Lion you can install it on 5 computers. How can I find out how many authorizations i have left?

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

3. bigshawn0 macrumors newbie

How does it work if you get a new computer? I just ordered an iMac, will I be able to install Lion on my wife's MBP?

4. macmongral macrumors member

no

you have to buy it to install it on another mac

5. luke.mac1 macrumors member

To be honest, if you authorise your wife's mac using your mac app store login credentials, then you should be able to update it for free as one of your 5 personal computers.

Check how many authorisations you have left - iTunes -> iTunes home -> Sign in -> Account (under Quick Links) -> You'll see "Apple ID Summary", it's under there... "Computer Authorisations: You have x number of computers authorised to play content with this Apple ID"

6. bigshawn0 macrumors newbie

Okay, I'll check it out. Thanks for your help.

7. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

The license that comes with a new Mac is solely for use on that Mac, it can't be used to upgrade another system.

8. richard13 macrumors 6502a

This is an interesting question and had me confused for a short time as well. If you read the EULA it says that the license is for 1 computer which made me think I had to buy Lion for each Mac I have. But when I went to the App Store it was apparent that I could install it again on my other Mac.

9. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

If you buy it from the App Store, you can install it on any Mac you own. If it has come pre-installed, it can only be used on the Mac it came with.

10. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

That only works for iLife.