Lion Limited to YOUR Mac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DaGreat01, Jul 19, 2011.

1. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Is your Lion download limited to just your mac?

I was just thinking, can't someone just stand outside an Apple store with lion on a flash drive and load it on people's Macs, charge them like $15 bucks?

Just a random thought after reading some post talking about going into Apple stores and loading lion of their store servers and stuff.

2. inspirations365 macrumors regular

I said the same when I bought the single-user upgrade disc for SL. Apparently my room mate was able to use it on his mac as well. Apple doesn't really worry about keys and licenses (or hasn't so much in the past) from what I understand.

3. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Look around, there's a ton of threads on this already.

Long story short: Lion is as easy to pirate as previous versions of OS X. In other words, very, very easy.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

How about downloading it and putting it on a flashdrive? This is what the OP is referring to.

6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

if someone already has it you sure could.

7. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

You can, but to make things easier "stand outside an Apple store with lion burned on a disk"

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

How is this different from any other release of Mac OS X? Someone could image the Snow Leopard install disc onto a flash drive and do the same thing.

9. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

If you gave them your username and password (and then changed it afterwards), it could be download multiple times. My cousin and I have a shared developer Mac App Store account... we both downloaded the GM from the same account. Though it could be handled differently when it releases tomorrow to the public?!

10. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

That is true. I guess since this download is pretty small in comparison to past releases it would seem easier to do? Idk, just a thought.

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

How is this download pretty small in comparison to past releases? Lion is the first version of OS X to be distributed digitally, there are no past releases to compare to. If you're comparing to previous versions of OS X, that's not really a valid comparison because those versions were distributed physically, so they generally used up the whole of whatever medium they were distributed on. Also, FWIW, the very first versions of OS X were distributed on a single CD, meaning the whole package was no more than 700 MB. That's "pretty small" compared to Lion.

12. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I didn't mean to say "download", just the size of the OS on a disk.

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It may be smallish compared to Leopard and SL, but it's more or less the same size as Tiger and bigger than all versions earlier than that.

In this day and age, file size is of relatively small importance. 8 GB flash drives are fairly cheap, and you never needed one bigger than that for a whole OS. Still, this is getting down to nitpicking. Point taken.

14. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Never mind then, I have been making incorrect assumptions based on just the last two OS X versions. (haven't been a Mac user pre Leopard)