Lion Lover, Hater, Lover

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DockMac, Jan 10, 2012.

1. DockMac macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

At first, I was a Lion lover. I lived all the new features, especially full screen apps and app swiping. But then after using it on my normal workload, it seemed to slow down my productivity. The UI wasn't as responsive. There was considerable lag between click and reaction. It seemed to have terrible memory management.

But then I quadrupled my RAM. Everything just works. Perhaps it was just that Lion requires more memory to function well. Now I am a Lion lover.

2. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

Ive read elsewhere on the boards that Lion is a RAM hog. I've never used prior Mac OS's, as this is my first Mac, and I am totally pleased, but I will be upgrading my ram to see if it makes it snappier.

3. DockMac thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, it is a memory hog. The first OS X only needed 128MB. Lion requires 16x that at 2GB. It is a memory hog!

4. J.li macrumors newbie

Damn ! I have upgraded from Leopard to Lion and yes Lion have been littl slow :rolleyes:

between how to go back to leopard :apple:

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Lion to me is a very bloated OS. However I have the feeling that Apple won't be increasing system requirements for their OSs for a while. If they do, they will be forced to drop support for all the current MacBook Air models, the newest chain of Macs to the Mac family. I don't think Apple will want to consider doing that.

Have you considered trying out Snow Leopard? Its exactly the same as Leopard except with less bugs, less system requirements and support for more recent Applications. I think it still sells for £30 on the Apple website as well. It is certainly worth using instead of Leopard.

6. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I too am a first time mac user, and i find the full screen apps and windows almost useless. i do enjoy the gestures available on the trackpad, but still prefer to use a mouse instead. I rarely use mission control but it seems purposeful for the most part, if you have multiple windows to switch back and forth to and dont want to use the dock. it just seems like apple invents multiple ways to do one thing ie: mission control button on the keyboard, icon available in launchpad and/or dock, and the swiping motion on the trackpad.

the main thing i hate about lion, is the recovery and local snapshots. how annoying is it that the only built in recovery for reinstalling the entire OS is only available through the internet. i hope you have a fast connection, otherwise you have to buy the thumb drive that should have came with your $2000 mac. i had to do this once already, my fault the os crashed but my internet was not fast enough here in great ol afghanistan to download 8gb of an OS. local snapshots and time machine unless you really need to constantly back up data are bothersome to me. so i choose to turn them off and backup when i feel necessary.

sorry for the long post and personal opinions but so far its been love or hate on and off for me also.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Let me introduce you to my friend, Mr Progress. Your comparison is silly. My ZX Spectrum only needed 32 kilobytes to run so that means, according to your logic, it was better than today's operating systems?

8. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Have not noticed any slowdowns in Lion and I have two Mac computers with 2GB of memory.

Any computer, Mac, windows or Linux generally will improve with more memory. Its not only the operating system you have to think about its the applications as well.

Google chrome for instance uses several processes for things like tabs and what not.

I don't see this as a software issue as much as a hardware issue, more memory equals faster computer.

9. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

which do you recommend as far as performance? chrome or firefox? i use chrome because i can sync it and have gotten used to it.

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

LOL

The first Mac had 128K of memory....

Tempora mutantur nos et mutamur in illis

11. DockMac thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, the logic only suggests that OS X 10.7 uses a lot of memory, not that a ZX or OS X 10.0 is "better".

----------

Imagine running the original Mac OS on a modern machine? Would it scream? Or would it be the same?

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It wouldn't run in the first place.

You would have to add support for multi-cores, hyperthreading, 64 bit, large storage, high resolution screens, USB, and all the other stuff.

The closest you could get without huge amounts of work would be to install a newer, very lightweight linux distro on the MBP. I've read about 5 seconds to desktop with SSD and Ubuntu.

... now I'm tempted to install Linux o_O

13. DockMac thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I didn't think it would:(.

14. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

If it's any consolation OS X sucked until 10.2/3 and you couldn't watch DVDs.