Lion Mail.app + Google Apps

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by GuillaumeB, Jul 20, 2011.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is any of you having trouble setting up a Google Apps account in the new mac applications ? I tried to set up mine both in exchange and IMAP but it returns an error. I did it several time in the past so i do know all the usual settings. Oddly enough I'm able to set up a standard Gmail account

2. reidspice macrumors newbie

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Do you have the new two factor authentication turned on the Gmail side? If so , assign a one time password to the mail app

4. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

That's weird, I only did a straight update so all the settings were transferred automatically (haven't tried creating a new account yet) but my work email (uses Google Apps) is working fine and it's set up using IMAP. I also do NOT use the 2 step authorization.

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I use Google Apps for my company and I just entered my email address and password and it worked. There was a long delay, perhaps a minute or two while Mail searched for the proper server settings but I didn't have to do anything. Setting up my normal, personal, gmail account was the same process, just a good bit faster.

Perhaps your Google Apps admin has some special configuration thats preventing Mail from locating the server automatically.

My Mail account was automatically setup to use the following:

imap.gmail.com
    Port 993
    Use SSL <checked>
    Use IDLE command if the server supports it <checked>

Perhaps that will help you some.

6. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

No i just have one password to login.

I did not do a clean install, or a simple upgrade on top of Snow leopard. I just did an upgrade. Could this be the problem ?

i tried again and it just wont let me connect either thru IMAP or exchange.

7. GuillaumeB, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

OK actually iafter installing Lion, I realized there were some software update to do. i just did them and now it seems to be working. I dunno if this is related though but i guess it is

8. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Good news! To answer your earlier question, I did an upgrade from Snow Leopard, but, it seems you've got your own solution now.

9. bluap84 macrumors 6502

same. i just done a straight upgrade. No issues...bit worrying if i have to add a new mail box though

10. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

It looks like if you have upgraded your systems software you'll be fine. I didn't have any problems.

11. madrussian macrumors newbie

madrussian

I didn't have problems adding account, but!

I didn't have any issues adding my Google Apps account from the system settings area, but the new Mail app is not syncing all my folders and is also not sending my mail. If I jump to Thunderbird I have no issues and all folders are downloaded? Any suggestions or is this just one of those bugs that Apple will address with an update for Lion? Thanks.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

For a short time this morning it was saying my password was incorrect...but my iPhone and iPad were saying the same thing...it cleared up...so imap wasn't working for some reason. Other than that little holdup, its working perfectly fine.

Just go into user accounts, select gmail, put in credentials and select what you want to sync, and it will automate everything else...really easy!