Lion Mail Not Showing # of Emails

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Trimmer2, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Trimmer2 macrumors member

I downloaded Lion yesterday just like everyone else. The upgrade went smoothly but, obviously a few routine gestures and features needed to be relearned.

I have about 30 MobileMe folders within Mail. I get a badge with the new mail count in the Dashboard Mail stamp as usual. The problem is that a number of the new mails get put in to folders I set up with Rules on the previous Snow Leopard Mail but, they don't show that the new mail is in there!

So, I'll have 10 new mails on the dash badge, 5 show up in the Inbox and theres a count next to the inbox, I look at them and the badge is now reduced to 5. I have no visibility of where the other 5 new mails are! I have to open each and every folder to find the bolded new mail and look at it so the badge works its way down to an empty stamp.

Is this a setting? Flaw? Oversight? Problem? ....or, I can't believe, designed this way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

T

2. darnocs macrumors regular

Same happens to me. What works is A) quitting mail, B) switching to the specific email box that your email is in.

3. Trimmer2 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure what you mean.

In Snow Leopard, the mail count showed up beside each folder in Mail. Now for more quirk, some folders show mail count and others don't. So, I STILL have to open each and every folder to determine where the new mail is! The dash mail badge shows 3 new emails (after I opened mail in the Inbox) and NONE of the folders show any new mail but, when I do find the folder with the new mail, it's bolded like it should be. When I read the mail, the badge reduces by one as it should.

I do NOT like to open each and every folder to find new mail sent to that folder through my rules.

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

You can go into Preferences and check the box for "classic Layout". I was at the Apple store yesterday to take a look at Lion and I was not impressed at all. In the new Mail there is no way to change the font size in the list of emails on the left, only in the emails on the right. It was murder on my eyes on the higher resolution models. iCal and address book are ugly and the new gestures are counter intuitive - I guess it takes some practice.

All in all I just didn't see the big deal about Lion. Not only that it seems like the old days of someone coming from Windows, as I did last year, will not find a Mac intuitive with a small learning curve.

5. chaywoo macrumors newbie

Same problem!

One of my email addresses NEVER shows how many new emails it has.. Ive tried everything I can think of, and I can't make it show me how many unread email messages are in that emails' address/:confused: :rolleyes:

6. brian0526 macrumors regular

Fixed!

After MANY months of working on this issue, I finally got it resolved and I can't believe how simple the fix was. I was having this problem on my iCloud account since upgrading to Lion. The fix was simply adding @me.com to the end of my username in the account on Mail.

Detailed fix: Go to Mail-->Preferences-->Accounts Under the username, change it to include @me.com at the end. You might have to rebuild your mailbox.