Lion messed up my bootcamp. Can i recover?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Abramovici, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Abramovici macrumors newbie

I installed Lion today and my bootcamp partition stopped working. When going trough disk utility, i see this:

Mount Point : Not mounted Capacity : 119.76 GB
    Format : MS-DOS (FAT) Available : -
    Owners Enabled : - Used : -
    Number of Folders : - Number of Files : -

The disk cannot be repaired and etc. I can reinstall everything, but I simply don't want to lose a few files I have in there.

Is there any way i can recover the data in that partition?

Thanks for the replies

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Was is supposed to be FAT or was it NTFS previously?

B

3. dub. pG macrumors newbie

BootCamp will not boot!

I am having the same issue. I have been looking all day for a solution but to no avail. I'm considering just going to an Apple store and having someone at the Genius Bar take a look at it.

If I do, I'll fill you in on what they tell me.

4. JCA90 macrumors member

My problem is that Boot Camp is not mounted, I'm still able to boot into it, and VMware works fine but I can't see it on the desktop or anything, and it's a NTFS

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I thought one of the changes in Lion was how it no longer shows mounted volumes by default on the desktop.

Can you check in Disk Utility?

B

6. TShirtJohn macrumors member

Same problem but strangely reinstalled Fusion.... well upgraded it

Pointed to the drive and it works.... Disk utility still shows no owner though so i'd like to know how this is fixed

7. JCA90 macrumors member

This is what Disk Utility says after I try to repair it

Attached Files:

8. MJL macrumors 6502a

Relatively new to Mac here but I have been playing around the last week with Windows 7 64 / Snow Leopard backup / restore, windows built in backup / restore, paragon hard disk manager backup / restore , copycatx backup / restore, winclone, time machine. (first thing I do when I get a new machine, new OS: what options / scenario's happen when something goes wrong before I start installing all my stuff and running it for production)

I had svere issues when Windows did write some partition information to the disk. I did manage to salvage a few times with Paragon Partition Manager 11 when booting from the recovery CD but it still finishes up with a corrupt system however was able to retrieve data. One thing I have done now is to have an external bootable OS X installation that I can plug into the USB port and boot from to retrieve data.