Lion 'Mission Control' sucks, how can I get the 'old' one back?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by DramaLLama, Dec 24, 2011.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

I don't think it was called mission control but it laid out all OPEN (as opposed to only open windows in Lion) apps and it didn't stack windows on top of each other like Lions Mission Control:

[​IMG]

How can I get it to display a window for every OPEN app I have running instead of the apps that only have current open windows.. and also how do I set it to layout all the windows like the 'old' way? I don't like it overlaying everything like that. (It gets way more confusing with more open windows)

2. Frozzie macrumors regular

U can't go back to old ways unless you uninstall Lion and go back to Snow Leopard.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

You didn't tell us what computer you have. If it's new then you're stuck with Lion. I purposely upgraded all my Macs in 2010 to avoid this pitfall. Apple forces buyers of new machines into Lion like it or not. It's a bad deal.

4. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Exposé is so simple and functionable - why did Apple have to mess it up? The most stupid thing is changing things up (that work) - just for the sake of changing things up. Apple has taken some very functional and great features in OSX Snow Leopard and given us something clearly inferior. For what I might add..in the name of "progress"?
    OSX is heading down the road to Windoze Vista-country... Apple wake up!

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Go back to Snow Leopard. I find Mission Control bearable with the Application Expose (the gesture has to be enabled in the trackpad preference pane).

6. philxor macrumors regular

Yeah just downgrade to SL if you can. Unfortunately I have a new MBA which cannot be downgraded, mission control is terrible compared to the old spaces+expose. If you have multiple monitors it's completely worthless.

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Uh ? Works fine for me. :confused:

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Uh... no it doesn't. We're not talking about just hooking up an external in mirror mode.

9. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I thought you could downgrade a Mac that came with Lion to Snow Leopard as long as you updated to 10.6.8 afterwards (for additional drivers)?

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I use Mission control with a monitor in extended desktop mode. Works fine for me.

What issues do you have besides the fullscreen apps displaying some grey canvas ?

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Full screen apps with dual monitors. The forum is full of complaints regarding this "anomaly".

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yes, but that's not a problem with Mission Control, which this thread is about and the initial comment I was replying to was also I imagine (and if you notice the post you replied to, I stated that "anomaly", which is far from making "Mission Control" completely worthless again).

What is the problem with Mission Control in regards to multiple monitors ?

13. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Are you serious? Try dragging a window from one monitor to the other in mission control. It acts like its going to let you, but nope. Mission control is a complete failure.

14. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

This is a non-issue. First off, you don't need mission control to move one window to another monitor.

15. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

This is AN issue. First off, this is possible in Leopard and Snow Leopard. Second, since the window is draggable in Mission Control, it means the behavior should be the same as that in the normal state.

16. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

If you don't mind adding an extra step just to move some windows that are just as easy to do in the normal state.

17. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yes, I was serious. Ok, I tried it out your way (why I would use Mission Control to drag a window to another monitor is beyond me, I never did it this way in Leopard/Snow Leopard, so I don't see why I'd do it in Lion) and indeed, it doesn't work.

But how does that make multiple monitor support "worthless" with Mission Control ? Mission Control works fine on both my monitors and the extra pixels are a god send.

Hyperbolizing does not help you when trying to make an argument. It harms your credibility.

18. philxor macrumors regular

I dragged windows between spaces on different external monitors all the time. It is a complete fail in Mission Control to take away great functionality which was in SL.