Lion: no headphones device on audio out

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by greno, May 3, 2012.

1. greno macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just plugged a set of external speakers into the audio out port of my Mac-mini mid-2011 running Lion and I get no output. And headphones do not show up as a choice in Sound, Output. Just Internal Speakers are in the list.

I tried plugging the stereo jack in a bunch of times to see if it would recognize the speakers but no dice.

I also tried going into Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup and trying different decoders in there but again no dice.

I see a number of people with Lion have been having difficulty with audio out but none of the suggestions has worked so far.

2. Supra Mac macrumors regular

Have you tried some resets, PRAM or SMC?

3. Travis Bickle macrumors member

I've got a similar problem!

Had speakers plugged in and all working fine until a few days ago, I went to watch a YouTube vid and no sound so checked the rear cable to see if it had become unplugged;checked to see speakers were on/turned up etc but nothing. The only thing that happened is if I unplugged the speakers then plugged them back in I would get sound for about 2 seconds then nothing!

I then plugged my iPhone into the speakers to check if they were at fault but they work fine so the issue is definitely with the mac Mini.

I've tried the basic but often effective turn off/on to see if that helps but no luck,what are these PRAM & SMC resets and how would I do them? Failing that I'm still within warranty so could I just unplug it and take it to my local apple store? If I take it to the store I take it I don't need to bring along any cables etc, just the mm and receipt?

Any suggestions greatly accepted ;)

4. radiohed macrumors regular

I would make a genius appt and take it in for a check. You should just need to bring the mini. Bring the receipt, but they will look it up by sn anyways. My experience with repairs if they need to send it out, it will only be gone a few days. Hope that helps. :D

5. JohnnyComeLatly macrumors member

Same issue with mine. I'm wondering, though, if it's because I'm using HDMI output. Possibly when you use HDMI it disables the analog audio out.

6. Travis Bickle macrumors member

cheers for the replies. I'm not using HDMI so can safely assume it has nothing to do with that.

Shall book it in with apple (assume i phone my local store or can i just call in) and see what they can do for me.

7. Hezzez macrumors newbie

Same problem here

I have a brand new Mac Book Pro having the same problem , and it seems no one is able to find the solution , hope someone help...