Lion on 1 GB of RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by blairh, Aug 13, 2011.

1. blairh macrumors 68040

Dec 11, 2007
    Hey guys.

Contemplating upgrading my Mini to Lion. The thing is my Mini is a pretty old model with 1 GB of RAM (1.83 C2D processor).

Has anyone used Lion on a Mac with 1 GB of RAM? Or know someone who has? As to what I use the Mini for it's only the lightest of tasks (web and word mainly).
  2. tkermit macrumors 68040

Feb 20, 2004
    Even Apple recommend at least 2 gigs of RAM. I wouldn't go below that. RAM is cheap, and your Mini can be easily upgraded.
  3. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2008
    The installer supposedly checks and won't even let you install with less than 2GB.

Also - a 2GB stick is pretty cheap on eBay these days. The hard part is opening the case to install it.
  4. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

Dec 11, 2007
    Okay thanks. I'd probably just sell my Mini and use the money to pay a little of a new Mini if that's the case.
  5. seek3r macrumors 6502

Aug 16, 2010
    Dude, ram is *very* cheap, and it takes 10 mins to open the mini with a putty knife and install the ram.

If you're uncomfortable with it I bet you have a techy friend who isn't, everyone has one techy friend (or coworker, or family member, etc) :p
  6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

Dec 11, 2007
    Honestly I'd rather just sell my current Mini and start fresh. Really not about that (even though I don't know how to do it per se).
  7. Bensalama21 macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2011
    To be honest, I wouldn't suggest running Lion even on 2gb.. 4 is my personal minimum and I run Lion with 8gb.
  8. brand macrumors 601

Oct 3, 2006
    Snow Leopard didn't run well on only 1GB of RAM. Taking that into consideration, you want to run Lion on only 1GB of RAM? Even if it was possible it would not be a good idea.
  9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Jan 28, 2009
    goofed on my new mini and had a 1 gig stick and the 4 gig that did not get seated. it took about 5 minutes before I could do anything to shut it down. it was horrible.