Lion on a 2010 MBA 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Geebz, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Geebz macrumors newbie

How well will a 2010 13 inch MBA run Lion? This model comes with the standard 2 gigs of ram. Is the hardware capable of handling Lion without any hassles? Anyone have any experience running Lion on such a machine? Thanks.

2. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

From what I've read, it's slightly more memory-intensive, but it seems to run alright. Lion is still getting the kinks worked out of it, so it's a very case-by-case basis right now. If I were you, I'd wait a little while longer until it runs more smoothly.

3. Geebz thread starter macrumors newbie

4. calvol macrumors 6502a

You might check the Lion forum to see what the latest issues are with Lion (not specific to the 2010 model), and decide if you really want to run Lion right now. There were a lot of comments about lower battery life initially.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I wouldn't run Lion on a machine with 2GB of RAM. IMO not getting an Air w/ 4GB is a real deal-breaker.

6. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

I've been trying to get feedback on this for weeks! Someone needs to post legitimate data ;p

7. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

i have a 2010 13" Ultimate Air and it runs Lion nice. The same way it did with Snow Leopard.

8. MickeyVee macrumors member

MickeyVee

For all you nay sayers.. I'm running Lion on the original MBA Rev A. (upgraded the drive to a 128GB SSD) Light duty work, browsing, office, media comsumption, plus Lightroom 3, Photoshop Elements and some HDR software.
    It runs quite well.. quicker than SL.. and as fast as I need it to.
    I've been itching to get a new 2011 MBA but for now, I really can't see any benefit in upgrading other than if I want to run a virtual Windows machine well. I have a MacMini for that.

9. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

yup ez does it

10. racheldeet macrumors newbie

I'm running Lion on my base model 13" 2010 MBA and haven't run into any kinks yet.

YMMV.

11. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

Yup, I was thinking about upgrading to the Core i5 but my 2010 Ultimate MBA 13 runs Lion very well. I had also purchased Apple Care and upgrading would have hit me more then I would have liked. Taking the 4GB RAM upgrade option last year was essential to maintining this machines longevity.

Additionally, after reading the Anandtech review it is clear that the LCD panel on 2010 machine is superior to this years (13").