Lion on a BlackBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lamina, Jul 27, 2011.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone have a Core 2 Duo black MacBook running Lion?

I have. 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 7200 rpm 500 GB hard drive.

Are the new features worth the upgrade for someone who doesn't have a multitouch trackpad?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It sure is, hot stuff! I have the same computer. You'll notice a performance increase and you'll love it for more than a few of the new features.

3. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I have the white macbook and I put Lion on it. To be honest it's not worth the upgrade. The biggest thing is gestures and they don't even work on older macbooks. Mission Control is a downgraded version of Expose and I didn't like it. The resume feature was really annoying because every time you opened up a program your last days work would pop up. I don't know if it's just me but if I quit a program I want it to be fresh when I start it. Basically, I turned off the useless features to make it more like snow leopard. Lion is definitely NOT "the most revolutionary OS yet" because it's skirting the lines of being like iOS. I got a Macbook for a laptop and an iPhone for a phone. I don't want my Macbook looking and feeling like my phone. Most of the programs in Lion are just gimmicks to make it feel special. There is nothing revolutionary and I'm surprised after a few years this is all they came up with. Stick with Snow Leopard because all the programs work. Lion has a lot of bugs because it's new but I would say ultimately it was not worth the $30.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You can turn off any feature you don't like. Lion is worth the $30 for the performance boost alone. It feels far better than the Leopards ever did. The clunkiness is gone, the graphics are smoother. WiFi reception is improved massively. Those are the things that matter to me, not bells and whistles.

I feel like I can finally say, "It just works" again.

5. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Definitely worth it for the speed and full screen apps. The magic mouse allows you to use the gestures. I'm very happy with Lion on my 2008 MacBook.

6. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I have to agree that I would undoubtedly stick with Snow Leopard simply due to the lack of multi-touch trackpad. Sure, there are plenty of nice features, but to be honest, if you are still using the old trackpad, you should just buy a new MacBook. You can get a used 2008 aluminum MacBook for $500-700 from your local classifieds and sell your white/black MacBook for $300.

That said, Lion is fabulous for the aluminum MacBooks. I have two 2008 models and Lion was a no-brainer for them.

7. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

LOL! Lee! Nice to hear from ya buddy. Long time no talk.

I'll have to think about what you all have said. I love Lion on a white MacBook (2011), and I find that most of the interesting new stuff has to do with multitouch gestures.