Lion on a Second Mac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by AcesHigh87, Sep 28, 2011.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Currently I have Lion installed on both my macbook (was originally Leopard, have updated upon release to both SL and Lion) as well as my iMac which came pre-installed with Lion. Because I downloaded Lion on my macbook I have the file in my purchased section in the mac app store.

What I'm trying to do is get lion for my girlfriend. I know apple has it in place that you can install Lion on more than one machine but does that only work for one iTunes account? I tried logging into my account on her macbook pro and I got it downloading but when it finished (several hours later) it said it couldn't download or something. I'm not sure of the exact message as I was out of the room but that's what she said.

Was this an error or a usual thing? Because it wasn't originally downloaded on that mac can she not get Lion from my account? Would it work if I re-download it and then transfer the install file to her? Or will she just have to pay for it herself?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....*you* bought Lion. not your girlfriend. The license from the App store allows you install it on *your* computers, not anyones. If your girlfriend wants Lion on her Mac, she can pay $29 at the App store and get herself a legit license. What you are trying to do is piracy, and asking for assistance with it is against forum rules....oh yeah!

3. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Their server's swamped!

Despite all the bad reviews, Lion may be the most bought release of OS X. I'm reading everywhere on the internet where Lion downloads are crashing/taking abnormal amount of time to download because apple's servers can only take so much. However, since you bought it and its on your computer couldn't you just transfer Lion to your girlfriends mac via usb? firewire and target disk mode? dvd?

4. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I would need to re-download it but that was my thinking. Unfortunately Mr. Duff man here seems to think otherwise.

For the record, Duff Man, I was not asking for suggestions on pirating, simply trying to clarify what the shared license ******** states. I know you can have it on more than one computer, you said that yourself. Does apple really know the difference between the Lion installer I bought and the one she’s using? I would think they wouldn’t. It’s a mac, under the same roof, by that logic I could easily say it’s another one of my macs. Would that not make it under the same agreement that allows me to put it on multiple?

I’m really just trying to figure this out. If it’s illegal, so be it, I’m not asking for help in doing something illegal. I’m asking if it is legal.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Setting the question aside for a moment, why not wait till Lion is well sorted out? It seems to me that it won't be long before Apples got the OS running even better.

6. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

ROFL :D

It's definitely not Illegal, because I too recall apple saying you can install it on more than one machine (up to five I believe). People don't have to be so anal/anti-piracy/"holier than thou." A lot of em' get way to worked up over technicalities like "ohh, its your girlfriends machine and not your so technically its illegal blah blah blah."

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Do whatever you want. Apple has stopped caring and there is no serial numbers for most of their stuff. They do not check anything online either. If you are business you obviously can't do whatever you want.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You can install on up to 5 systems, as stated by Apple.