Lion on late 2007 Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by caligomez, Oct 8, 2011.

1. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

What do you guys think?

My wife's 2007 Macbook (Santa Rosa) is still running Snow Leopard, as I was not sure if upgrading to Lion would be the best thing to do. In other words, I was not sure if that model would perform better with Lion, as it currently works very well with Snow Leopard. Is there someone out there that can provide advice? My wife has no problems with Snow Leopard and she just wants whichever OS runs better on that particular model.

Machine Specs:
    2.2 Ghz Core2Duo
    4GB Crucial RAM upgrade (awesome..just months ago, and gave it new life)
    320GB HD (upgraded a year ago)
    Running OS X 6.8

Thanks! :)

2. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I have an early 2008 macbook and lion runs fine. It was running well with 2gb of ram but I just updated to 4.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Lion will work, but it appears that snow leopard still runs better on most computers. I'm sure it would perform adequately, but it certainly won't be better than snow leopard.

4. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I have the latest macbook and Lion runs TERRIBLE on mine... could be just because I have 2GB of ram in my computer though. But, right now Lion is very buggy, so I would wait until Lion gets a couple more releases before you decide to upgrade your wife's computer.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Lion runs just about as fast as SL did on my late 2007 MB. I do have 6 GB RAM, though, which probably has a lot to do with it. I would definitely not consider installing it with less than 4 GB RAM.

On a bit of a nit-picking note, it's running OS X 10.6.8, not OS X 6.8 or OS X.6.8. I know, a very minor point.

6. caligomez thread starter macrumors regular

caligomez

That's what I thought too...

Good advice..

Thanks guys!

7. session101 macrumors regular

i would stick with SL, I had lion and i downgraded to SL because you can't advantage of any of the features of lion, plus you lose powerpc for 3rd party apps.... just not worth it

8. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I had 2 gb of ram in my early 2008 macbook and it ran fine. Didn't have any slow down, programs crashing or anything at all.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Well, first off I think you mean you can't take advantage of any of the gestures in Lion. All the other features work just fine. And some of us don't use any PPC apps anymore, so that depends entirely on the user.

After 6 years, I've gotten rid of all PPC apps that I care about. I think the only app I had that still required PPC was GLTron. Fun, but not fun enough to warrant switching back to SL.