Lion on Mac book air.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by james0vince, Aug 13, 2012.

1. james0vince macrumors newbie

I have kind of an old air, 10.5.8 on it.
    A friend of mine that had 10.5.x lower than 8, had trouble jumping straight from 10.5 to lion.

I am wondering would I have the same problems or would is be straight forward for me?

Also it is a mac book air so no cdrom and it doesn't have appstore so I have no idea how I am going to even do this without a usb book hack.

Any pointers?

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Short answer: Don't do it, unless you have an SSD installed. You Air's 2GB RAM is the bare minimum to run Lion. Go to 10.6.8 and be happy with it.

Longer answer: If you really want to do it, get your hands on a Mac that has at least 10.6.7 installed. Launch the App Store and create an account or log into your existing one. Download Lion and create a Lion install thumb drive using one of the numerous guides online. This should let you install Lion over 10.5.x, i. e. keeping all user accounts etc. intact.

3. james0vince thread starter macrumors newbie

Have to Upgrade

Apple doesn't give you a choice but to upgrade. Almost all versions of software available for mac deprecates past Snow Leopard, and now Mountain lion is out its will be lion.

I need to at he very least upgrade to Lion.

Textmate isn't available for snow leopard or before, gimp is dodgey, macvim nope, MAMP you need an older version which really doesnt function well.

Im not buying a new computer just because my operation system is 3 generations old.

4. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Lion is not currently on the MAS for purchase. ML is the only cat on the store. It would be a bad idea to try out ML on that machine.