Lion on Macbook core 2 duo

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dlegend, Jul 20, 2011.

1. dlegend macrumors 6502

Anyone running Lion yet? I'm tempted but wanted to see how everyone else was liking it so far.

2. eman macrumors 6502a

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Where have you been? It's been out for a couple hours now.

4. King Luis macrumors 6502

i just upgraded to lion. macbook 2.2 c2d.

seems a little sluggish right now, but i'm tethered off my iphone and haven't really done anything i'd do normally. a bunch of updates to iphone and certain apps.

loving mission control. trackpad seems to be upside down but since i need a new mouse, i'm going to pick up the trackpad to go with my keyboard for home.

5. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I've got a black macbook from 2008... anyone have Lion on theirs yet?

wanting to upgrade, probably will, but just want to make sure it runs smoothly.

My baby is already getting kinda slow

6. HelterSkelter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I installed it. It is a Black MacBook early 2008.
    It seems to work just fine. I don't feel it to be any slower than Snow Leopard.
    Obviously you don't feel the fluidity you get to feel on latest MacBook Pros you test at the Apple Store... but no slower than SL (and the Macs at Apple Stores don't have several servers running, IDEs, Outlook and all that crap).

So if your Mac is compatible, I'd say to go for it!

7. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I second the above. Mine is a late 2007 MacBook 2.0 C2D with 4 g of ram. Installed Lion this morning and all seems very fluid.

8. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Thanks! I've got a 2008 MBP 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM. Half the RAM, but if yours feels the same for you, I'm sure mine will feel the same for me.

Lion will likely be the last OS upgrade that my Mac sees. Heck, I'm pretty sure this model was around when Tiger was new! (I bought mine with Leopard in October 2008)

9. MartZR macrumors newbie

I have the mid 2009 MacBook with 2.0Ghz and 4GB Ram and I'm surprised how zippy it feels.

10. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

To be quite honest, Lion isn't worth it for the White Macbooks because the whole point of this "magical and revolutionary" upgrade are the multi-touch gestures and we don't get that. There is nothing noticeably different in Lion except two more icons in my dock.

11. hekokimushi macrumors regular

hekokimushi

MB5,1 on Lion. 11A511.

the inverted Gesture is driving me nuts
    and the 3 finger swipes that used to work throughout, and tap drag no longer functions...

little hard to get used to the "new" back to iOS features.

Attached Files:

12. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

You can change it in the trackpad options.

Btw, Lion seems to be fine on my 06 C2d 2gb Macbook. With the death of the Macbook I may treat mine to a SDD and maybe up the memory to 3gb (I think unofficially the MA700LL/A supports it)

13. iSmac macrumors member

14. iSmac macrumors member

Are you sure your running Lion? All the magic and gestures work!

15. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Depends on the age of your MacBook. The models before '07 (maybe later) have limited gestures. I can't 3 or 4 finger swipe on my late 06 model.

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I installed this on both of my macs, a black MB and a 2009 MBP. Runs fine on both except on the MB, the fans are on high constantly with only iTunes, Safari and Firefox running, no flash sites. No gestures on the MB.

17. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ummmm, my late 09 6,1 macbook has had mutlitouch for a while bro!:)

18. UraGraymalkin macrumors newbie

Installed it yesterday on my late-2009 MacBook (2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM) and it's working beautifully.

I had to have the HDD replaced last month and took the opportunity to do a clean install of Snow Leopard - with the result that I saw a small, but noticeable, performance boost. Lion feels like it's happened again.

(And iTunes 10.4 actually works properly - it's zippy and smooth, like having iTunes 7 back!)

19. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I have blackbook 2.4 ghz
    lion is on pretty awesome so far no issues fast enough.

20. Lara F macrumors 6502a

Anyone else run Lion on an substantially older Macbook? I'm concerned because not only is my 07 MB at the minimum 2gb RAM (with 2.16 GHz C2D) but it has the GMA 950 graphics. Snow Leopard works well enough, so I'm hesitant about rocking the boat.

Downgrading *is* possible if needed with the Snow Leopard disc, correct? I hate asking such a noob question but wanted to be sure. Fortunately I don't have too much media/documents on the Macbook.

21. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, I'm running it on the later aluminum unibody MB with 4gb ram and it runs just fine. Overall I love it, all the new gestures are great. Basically does away with having to minimize a page to get back to another app. Switching between task is seamless. Didnt think I would like launch pad but with a four finger pinch pulls you right into your apps and let's you open something new. Also I love being able to slide desktops. Don't know if this is new but I was watching a DVD last night and if I needed to check battery I would just do a 3 finger swipe left and boom, back at the desktop. Like it a lot for what I use my MB for

22. Mitchelino, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Runs well on my old MBP (just as well as Snow Leopard, though some apps are faster):

[​IMG]

I'd say give it a try. I've seen others with 07 MBs run it with success. For me, I haven't noticed anything slow down. Though most apps that were slow in Snow Leopard are also slow for me in Lion. iTunes sped up for me, though.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have the same computer. I actually saw improvements on mine. So far, I like Lion much better than the Leopards.

24. Mmarzex macrumors member

I'm running lion on my 07 macbook and I've actually noticed a performance increase in it since upgrading.

25. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Running fine here on my '08 Alu unibody. As quick if not quicker than Snow Leopard.

Not too keen on the new gestures and loss of "proper" spaces, but hey I've got dual boot with Snow Lep.