lion on MBP 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcomac, Jul 20, 2011.

1. pcomac, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

pcomac macrumors regular

im debating to upgrade to lion or not. i have base line MBP 13" with 4GB ram and 320 GB hard drive. how will upgrading to lion affect my ram and hard drive? how much space does it take? i have looked at the comparison between lion and snow leopard on youtube and the only main difference that i can see between the two is that they made lion look at little different. what is so special about lion? what are some useful things that make lion so much better than SL? im afraid that if i upgrade, my MBP will be slow and not as good.

EDIT: it'll be free to update cause i just got the MBP

2. Kauai macrumors 6502a

First of all, no, your computer is not going to be any slower with Lion than it is with SL. The 2011 MBP was made recently enough that I can assure you 100% that Apple made it with Lion in mind. That being said, on a personal note, I really don't think Lion is worth it unless you have some money to throw around or really care about its features. Auto-Saving, Full-Screen, 64 bit iTunes? All very nice extras, - that I will enjoy when I upgrade next time around. Not really worth it to me.

3. mac00l macrumors 6502

On a 13" is awesome to work in full screen, and when paired with the new gesture system, is really easy to multitask.

It doesn't feel different than SL, yet it feels better. Hope it kind of makes sense to you :p

4. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

i read the description provided by apple. im kinda interested in upgrading now because of the new security stuff they added. how much memory does lion take? if i dont do clean install, will my files and everything stay the same? will firefox work with lion?

5. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

you will be fine your computer is not dated tech.

6. mmduluth macrumors regular

I just updated this morning (I had to pay for it) and I’m really liking it. The new gestures are pretty cool. Although others may not feel like me, I think Launchpad is a pretty nice feature, especially since I can get to it with a gesture.

Mission Control is very cool. It’s definitely an updated expose and I’m sure I’ll get a lot of use out of it. I have a 2010 MBP 13” and it hasn’t slowed it down at all. In fact (and this may be a placebo effect) it feels like my computer comes out of sleep faster. All of my apps still work and the fullscreen mode is going to come in very handy.

I say if you don’t have to pay for it, you might as well update.

Edit:

Forgot to answer another one of your questions. Yes, you apps and files and everything else stay exactly the same. Just make sure before you update to do a software update to make sure everything is up to date and after installing Lion, do it again because there was an update for iTunes and iWork that I only got after I ran software update in Lion.

7. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Upgrade to Lion, it is great! I have had my 13" MBP for 2 weeks and have held off on installing a lot of applications because I knew this update was coming. I installed Lion today at lunch and played around in it a little and it feels really snappy. There are a few things I already miss like the four-finger swipe to the desktop, but I'm sure there's another way to get there that I just haven't found yet. I like the swipe to the right to go to the dashboard and I also kinda like launchpad. Anyway, I have the exact same computer you do and I absolutely love the upgrade!

One warning: when you go to update, be sure to have your redemption code and click redeem. I didn't and ended up getting billed, now I have sent an email to iTunes support and am waiting to hear back. I really hope they will return my money as it should have been free but for my own stupidity!

8. mmduluth macrumors regular

Go to System Preferences>Trackpad and it will show all the gestures. You can still do the desktop thing, it’s just different. You kinda have to put 5 fingers on your trackpad and kinda move them outward? I don’t know if that makes sense or not.

9. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

:eek: apple dropped rosetta. i just read that photoshop CS and my antivirus wont work on lion :(
    looks like its a no for lion. stupid apple.

10. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I'm scared of the drop in power PC support. Will they support universal apps still?

11. mmduluth macrumors regular

Just as an update, I’ve found one app that I use frequently that won’t work with Lion. PandoraJam. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled it but nothing.

I got around it by downloading a free app called “Fluid” which allows you to pretty much make your own web app. All I did was open the app, put in pandora.com, and clicked create. Works very well. I little more basic than PandoraJam but that’s fine with me. It’s pretty much like having a separate browser window open..but not...

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

Lion runs faster than snow leopard on my computer.. see sig. Not sure why you would think twice as they announced Lion before the release of 2011 MBP.