Lion on old hardware. Upgrade worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Swift Sketcher, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

I have a late 2007 MBP. 2.2ghz, 4gigs of ram, 120 gig harddrive

How will this update treat me? Is it more optimized than SL? Is it's memory footprint lower? With slower, older hardware and almost no harddrive space, these factors concern me most. Any opinions?

2. Ragnar-Kon macrumors member

I have an early 2008 MBP, and Lion has been working fine for me, but it doesn't seem any faster (or slower) than Snow Leopard, nor does it take up more or less of a memory footprint than Snow Leopard.

So it is safe to say that you will see similar performance with Lion than you did with Snow Leopard.

Is it worth the upgrade? The major feature for laptop users is the trackpad gestures, but since we are using old MBP models that still have the button and smaller trackpads, many of these gestures aren't really possible. I mean, they work, but they are harder to do with the smaller trackpad.

The other features are nothing really game-changing in my opinion. I really really REALLY like Mission Control, but if you go around and read some of the threads, some people hate Mission Control. The features of Launchpad can be obtained in Snow Leopard by easily making your Application folder a stack on your dock. Auto save and Versions is nice, but since I've used computers for so long (and have lost many files along the way) I have basically become addicted to saving, so those features don't really help me. The new Mail seems good at first, but after using it for most of the month, I can honestly say it is just a Apple's version of Gmail.

So it is up to you. I think it is worth it just because of Mission Control, and because it is only $30. But, people will disagree with me.

3. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

Meh, Mission control is whatever to me. I work with a lot of big files over a lot of time, and have lost countless amounts of work from crashes or corrupt files, so versions, and auto-save sound like god-sends. Resume sounds really nifty too. I'm ready to buy tomorrow if these work with my programs as advertized, but if the OS is slower or buggier than what I have I may regret it.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

OS X Lion requires a minimum of 2GB of RAM and a Core2Duo or above Mac according to Apple, so the system requirements have gone up. Responses have been mixed on whether Lion is slower on older hardware (although I imagine it would be) and whether Lion is buggy in it's current build or not.

One thing for certain, 10.7.0 is bound to be riddled with a few annoying bugs. I'd recommend waiting for 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 if bugs are the last thing you want.

5. wesrk macrumors 6502a

It runs fine on my new MacBook pro and I've yet to put it on my home based early 2008 mbp. I think I will wait to see what others say about that model, battery life, ram, etc.

6. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

Just bumping to hear any new impressions now that it's launched.

7. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

If you have the original 120GB HD I would upgrade that before Installing SL.

HDD's today are quite a bit faster than back in 2007 and SSD's well... how does cold booting in 5 seconds sound. :p

FYI last years MacBook Airs are slower than your laptop and they run Lion just fine.

8. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I put a $180 OCZ 120GB SSD in my wife's 2007 MacBook (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM) and did a clean Lion install off a bootable USB stick. Works like a charm. She loves it.

I've also got Lion installed (upgraded over 10.6.8) on my 2008 aluminum MacBook at work (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 6GB RAM, 160GB OWC Mercury SSD). It's connected to a 24" desktop monitor, BT keyboard and trackpad, and use it exclusively as a desktop computer. Also runs perfectly. Just as fast, if not faster, than Snow Leopard.

9. anemone macrumors member

It's running great on my early 2008 iMac 2.66 gz Core 2 Duo upgraded to 4 GB RAM. No problems so far and it seems to run as smoothly as SL did.

10. Tearabite macrumors regular

Tearabite

Running just fine on my 2006 iMac w/2GB Ram and just as good on my 2008 McAir with 2GB ..

11. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Runs very smooth on a 2008 mbp, battery life is about the same, boot speed did get a bit slower when I did an upgrade install and returned to it's usual time when I did a clean install. Besides my FaceTime not connecting for some reason, and my HP printer software not being able to run on Lion (it was power pc software), I'm very happy with Lion.

12. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

This lion is running great on my late 2008 Alu MacBook, perhaps even a little faster than the snow leopard did.