Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vix2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Being a new mac convert since getting my mba last November I will obviously be buying Lion when it comes out. I am thinking of also putting Lion on a pc running windows 7 at the moment. Being a novice I wondered if someone would tell me if this a good idea, and also the best and most efficient way to do this. I have windows 7 on virtual box on my mba but rarely use it. Is it the same running virtual box on a pc. Thanks.

Last edited:

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Being a new mac convert since getting my mba last November I will obviously be buying Lion when it comes out. I am thinking of also putting on a pc running windows 7 at the moment. Being a novice I wondered if someone would tell me if this a good idea, and also the best and most efficient way to do this. Thanks.

I don't know what you're asking. A "Hackintosh"? (Putting Lion on a PC) or using the bootcamp option in OSX to run Windows 7 on your mac?

vix2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
I don't know what hackintosh means and as I said I am running win 7 through virtual box on my mac.

I am asking if it is possible to use Lion as an operating system on a pc, and if so the best way to do it.

Sorry if my original post was unclear. Thanks.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What are your system specs? It's only possible if you use Mac-compatible parts. You must have an intel CPU, for example. You also have to use a bootloader and (ideally) a separate blank drive to install it on. You can check http://www.osx86.com for parts compatibility, and http://tonymacx86.com/ will have a guide for installing Lion on day one.

There is no way to run OS X in a virtual machine within Windows.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Legally, you can only install Mac OS X on Macintosh computers; it's in their EULA.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Legally, you can only install Mac OS X on Macintosh computers; it's in their EULA.

The wording is actually "Apple-branded systems". My Hackintosh has an Apple logo on it.;)

Tonymacx86 will be coming out with a guide on how to install Lion on a PC on launch day. Hopefully it will be as easy as he has made it for Snow Leopard.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.