Lion on White Macbook 2007

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by EwanMcTeagle, Jul 16, 2012.

  1. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

    EwanMcTeagle

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2012
    Location:
    Lodz, Poland
    #1
    Hi guys,
    I had an idea I could upgrade the OS on my girlfriend's Macbook (running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 now), but I thought: what's the point? She won't be able to use the gestures anyway (just like on the SL for that matter - except the scrolling). Plus I was wondering if it wouldn't slow the Macbook down (it's Intel Core 2Duo 2,0 GHz, 2 GB RAM...
    What do you think? Is it sensible to upgrade or is it better to leave the good old MB alone?:)
     
  2. Intell macrumors P6

    Intell

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2010
    Location:
    Inside
    #2
    I happen to hate the gestures and find them a problem in my workflow. My Mid-2007 Blackbook runs very well with Lion and 3.3Gb of ram installed.
     
  3. Drew017 macrumors 65816

    Drew017

    Joined:
    May 29, 2011
    Location:
    East coast, USA
    #3
    It should run OK. I have a 2009 MacBook (specs in sig) and lion runs nicely on it, though with your girlfriend's the RAM might need to be upgraded to 4GB in order to see good speed. Also, you could consider replacing the hard drive with an SSD as well.
     
  4. EwanMcTeagle thread starter macrumors 6502

    EwanMcTeagle

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2012
    Location:
    Lodz, Poland
    #4
    Thanks guys. I'll upgrade then:) Although I gotta get rid of this urge to improve and meddle with computers every 2 weeks:)
    About the RAM - I think the max this MB can take is 3,3GB (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=626346). Do you think I should go with 2 + 1 GB sticks or just go with 2+2 and don't worry about few MBs getting wasted?
    In terms of SSD - I can't afford more than 128GB at the time and that would be not enough for my girlfriend's needs, plus she doesn't want the DVD gone - I've offered her the SSD option the day I bought her the MB since she doesn't use the DVD basically. But she wants it to stay for now. Maybe in another couple of months she'll get to the conclusion that I had also have had a while a go - that I barely use the DVD in my MBP and the one in my Hackintosh is enough. Thus I think I'll wait for the SSD prices to drop if only a bit and buy the SSD(s) in December/January when I plan to get 15" MBP. That way I'll go all in and get 3 SSDs in one sweep - for the MB, 13" MBP and 15" MBP and put the DVD drives in eternal cases for me and my girlfriend to use on the desk.
    Plus I'll be getting Time Capsule along the way and have to wait for it, because I don't really have the space to do a Time Machine backup now - I would need to clear one HDD in my Hackintosh and transferring 120 GB of data to is a bit of hassle in a limited and tight HDD space. That I just don't want:)

    Thanks again guys. You never let a man seeking help down:)
     

Share This Page