Lion or not Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dlinkant, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Dlinkant, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

Dlinkant macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I recently recevied an "old" Imac,
    the 20" one : http://support.apple.com/kb/SP28 :)

I upgraded to snow leopard and I consider adding RAM.
    Would it be worthed ?

If yes, what ram do you advise me ? And then if I add like 2go, would it be possible/worthed to install lion/mountain lion ?
    In the specs page everything seems to be ok exept RAM, but they say "mid 2007 or newer" and mine is late 2006 :)
    http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Thank you guys

2. Dlinkant thread starter macrumors newbie

358 views and not a single answer ? :/

I don't think my question is too complicated and i tried to be as clear as possible :rolleyes:

plzzz guys

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yours can go up to 10.7.5 and takes 3 GB (Install 4 GB 2x2 but only 3 is recognised)

But, you'll be probably better of on Snow Leopard.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I had an Early 2006 iMac with a max of 3Gb RAM, and it ran Lion ok. I wouldn't run it with less than that, certainly. Your iMac won't run Mountain Lion.

It would be worthwhile adding the RAM even to run Snow Leopard. You will see performance benefits.

However, it's still a seven-year-old machine, so don't expect too much from it. Only you can decide how money is worth throwing at it to improve it. A bigger hard drive (SSD?) might be a good move, though it will require opening up the case, which can be a bit tricky.

If you go to any decent memory website, like Crucial, they will sell you RAM modules specifically for your Mac model. Just enter the details of your computer, and they'll tell you what RAM they have for it.

5. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Thoughts

I would have to agree with the advice above, however, would this be a second machine? If so, then definitely stick with 10.6.8, it is slicker.

However, if this is the main machine and you need iCloud support, then you've no choice but to go 10.7.

F

6. Dlinkant, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

Dlinkant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all those answers, sorry for my broken english

I have an other computer that is better (pc amd 2core 3.2ghz, 4go ram, geforce 9800gt).

This is the first time i own a mac. I think i'll use it only for internet, music and movies. But i thought if i can boost it a little bit and run photoshop or even after effect it would be usefull. And I don't know the mac applications yet. There is probably many usefull ones.

From what I understand, adding ram would be good but upgrading to lion isn't a good idea. I read here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWxc60_0zYo
    "Often running a newer OS on an older system can result in a significant performance drop that greatly affects its usability."

I think that running photoshop/after effect on this old mac is a bit too optimistic and that i should keep using my pc to do it.

I still don't know if 47.99$ for 3go is worthed buying. A ssd is out of question : if I buy one, it will be for my pc xD

P.S.: fireArse i don't know why I would need Icloud ? (im noob with mac) :) this isn't my main computer but this is my main(only) mac yeah. Can you please tell me more ?

7. SprSynJn Guest

As someone else mentioned, I'd recommend a memory upgrade regardless of which road you take. I upgraded my 2007 MacBook with two gigs of ram to Lion and it runs slower than I'd like. I think I might have been better sticking to Snow Leopard. Still, the features on Lion are a nice, if often unused, touch.

8. Dlinkant thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay i'll take your advice and add ram :)
    I think i'll add 2go and keep one 512mo since i have two slot, it's cheaper and more cost efficient than buying 2go+1go, what do you think ?
    I dont think i'm gonna upgrade to lion.

thank you all