Lion: OS or iOS?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Morod, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi all,
    I have a desktop iMac (redundant, I know) running SL 10.6 8. I have no iDevices.
    I will probably have to upgrade to Lion to keep my mac.com email. So here is the question:
    Is Lion a true OS or perhaps a hybrid of OS and iOS? What do people in general consider it to be?
    Sorry for the idiot question, but it's important to me.
    Thanks!

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Still a true OS, very similar to Snow Leopard, most of the new things can be turned off/ignored if you dont want them

3. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

[​IMG]

4. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

In about 4 years, Mac OSX and iOS will be one in the same. For now the similarities are subtle.

5. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I shall look forward to runnng AppleScripts on my iPad. ;)

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I don't think that's what Steve had in mind with the "Back to the Mac" campaign. :)

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

ummm, no

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

I'm not saying that your right or wrong but a guarantee from some random stranger on the Internet means nothing to anyone and a guarantee means even less.

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Apple would not commit suicide by denying all use of your computer. Not gonna happen! Sure they may have user mode and advanced mode...user mode being basically iOS and Advanced mode being OSX...but there would never be an iOS only system.

If there were, a LOT of users would stop using OSX.

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Complete nonsense. This whole subject just makes me cringe every time it comes up. Apple put a couple of IOS like features in Lion and people are going off the deep end about how OS X is becoming IOS. :rolleyes:

12. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Holy crap. I can't believe you.

If you use Lion there it is... right in front of your face. :) Which direction do *you* think OSX is headed?

Besides... the revenue Apple generates from iOS devices by far exceeds anything powered by mac OSX.

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

I never said that I agree nor disagree with you so I'm not sure where this is coming from. I was merely expressing that your guarantee didn't mean anything. Apple would be stupid if they didn't take some of what has made iOS so successful and put it into Mac OS. The hardest part about that is what to bring over from iOS, how to do it and what to remove from Mac OS. For what it's worth I do agree with you.

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Come on folks.....

Have any of you ever worked on a jailbroken iPhone? The underlying OS for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac lineups could all be the same but with different features enable for each. We could have the closed system we have today for the iPhone and iPad and the relatively open system we now have for the Mac. This would be easy for Apple to do.

S-

15. admanimal macrumors 68040

Apple could switch to ARM for all of their hardware without completely unifying the operating systems. OS X and iOS already are already more similar than they are different once you get beneath the UI, so being able to target a single architecture would still be a big win even if they kept the two OS'es separate.

16. robgendreau macrumors 68030

We'll see. But Apple was smart enough to see they needed a whole new OS for mobile handheld devices; this seems to imply that they see the use of a Mac Pro being different than the use of a Nano or an iPhone. So don't panic; it's unlikely you'll be smearing your fingers on the Finder (hah).

OTOH, something's gotta change. Can't somebody do better than icons and folders and trash cans? I mean even my REAL desktop doesn't look much like that anymore. And the vaunted inter-connectivity of Apple Mac apps is quite aged. I mean with Faces and Locations and such in iPhoto how come I have to actually find locations in Address Book and manually add them? Why doesn't the new AB just pop up a map? and a link to photos? Nothing's changed much in a decade. Unless you count the direction of scrolling….

Rob

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

Isn't that the whole point of the direction that Apple is going with iOS?

18. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I've noticed Jefferies* analysis (as per linked article) several times over the past year. Each time they've proven stunningly wrong.
    Here's one small example: http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011/04/29/jefferies-analysts-on-rimm-we-were-wrong/

There'll surely be a movement towards a common center for iOS and OSX.
    However, unless Jobs decides to kill the Macintosh line we'll end up with something like the Windows 7/Windows CE 7 pair.

*one link, Jefferies with an e, one link, Jeffries without the e. Same group?

19. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Yes, Mac OS X and iOS will become more alike in coming years...

because iOS will get more advanced and become closer to a "full" OS.

And OS X will have some added features that will make it more consistent with iOS. It won't be dumbed down; but Apple will add things like Launchpad and gestures that are usable in addition to the current ways of doing things.

20. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I hear you all but you're forgetting one thing...

The "keyboard-hobbled" PC device we have today which uses OSX in its current form will most likely be nothing like Apple will produce even 4 years from now.

I don't have any special insights other than to watch the evolving trackpad, gestures and new iOS devices that continue to drive Apple's success.

I.e., Apple ain't bettin' the farm on the mac.

21. admanimal macrumors 68040

Fixed that for you.