Lion OS release date

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yizhimao, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Yizhimao macrumors member

I'm thinking of getting my very first macbook pro 15" with AG.. Here's my qn, if i were to get it now, will I still have to pay for the Lion OS if it is released within the next few months? Or would it be better if I were to wait for it to be released??

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Free upgrades to the new OS have, in the past, only been offered to those who purchase a new machine once a shipping date is announced. Apple generally announce this one month in advance. So if you buy today then yes, you would have to pay to upgrade.

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Yes you'll still have to pay for it. Generally Apple have given it free to anyone who buys a Mac after the release date is announced, somewhere ~1 month before shipping.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

No guarantee that Apple will handle Lion in the same way, but FWIW:

Snow Leopard was released 08/28/2009.

Apple's Up-To-Date program allowed for free upgrades for any Mac purchased between 6/8/2009 (the date Apple publicly unveiled it) and 12/26/2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard

5. JaimeChinook macrumors newbie

Is anyone guessing when Lion will be released? Software releases are not mentioned in the Buying Guide like hardware is. Thanks

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Summer of 11 is all we know.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

8. dnkbro macrumors regular

No one knows other than a "summer" release. I'm thinking some time in August.

9. JaimeChinook macrumors newbie

Quick reply! Thanks so much.

Even if "summer" means May 1st, it's two months off. That's too long to put off my updating my 4 year old mbp (... I know, many Apple devotees have swapped their mbp's as often as I get hot breakfasts... but the mbp's are so dang good that a simple guy like me just makes them go and go and go...).

10. Yizhimao thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

Goodness!!! Dear Steve jobs, kindly spare us and released it already!! The wait is killing me!!:(

11. Kalach macrumors member

Kalach

Hopefully it won't take them until august to release. Hopefully june! :)

12. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

I think there's only one guy in the OSX department these days. And right now he's busy fetching coffee for the more important iOS folks during their rush to get 4.3 out by March 11.

I think he runs the Daycare center as well.

iLion just might make it by August.

13. TBT729 macrumors newbie

The King

We are now at the king of the cats with Lion. So what is the next OS going to be for Apple...Sylvester the puddy tat. LOL.

14. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dude, you really want to wait 1 month to save 29$ ?

If you news the computer, buy it.

15. stefmesman macrumors 6502

there are numerous posts on the web telling you if you buy now you get lion for free.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/lion-up-to-date-buy-a-new-mac-now-get-lion-free-later/

16. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

You're planning on spending $2K on the computer and you're sweating the $29.99 to update to Lion? If it is released within 30 days of your purchase, odds are they will make it a free upgrade.

17. AFPoster macrumors 65816

It was announced that if you purchase a new Mac since the announcement of Lion you will get a free upgrade to it when it comes out. There is also a Promotion on there site from my understanding.

18. TheMetalMan0 macrumors newbie

The original post was from the end of February here! No he wouldn't of been eligible then and wouldn't of known the price.
    Any Mac's bought now will be though.

19. Blipp macrumors 6502

it's $30 for crying out loud. If you're going to hold off your purchase for that then you don't really need a new computer.

20. Just "Vinnie" macrumors member

Holy crap. The OP asks a legitimate question. Some of you people are real flippant with your dough. (You'd make wonderful U.S. Politicians) Will $30 put anybody in the poor house? No. But it's Apple's typical offer so why not take the free money?

Besides... given that Lion can only be downloaded and upgraded on top of snow leopard... I'd rather get a brand-spankin' new MBP with a clean install of Lion on it right out of the box and then clone this to a USB stick (or something) for my Lion backup. Seems like there will be no more disks to do this.

21. Bomino macrumors member

22. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Off Topic but i didnt want to start a new thread.

How do you think Lion will run on a base 13" with a 2.26 Core 2 Duo and 2 gb of ram?

23. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

At WWDC they said Lion would be available in July. Barring some kind of major setback you know it will probably be released on a Tuesday in July.

24. PlaysARobin macrumors newbie

So much for reading posted dates.. Or heck, just reading anything other than the thread title and replying.

25. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1107457
    In the press release it states that al computers bought on or after June 6th will be eligible for a free upgrade for lion but the user must claim this upgrade within 30 days of lion release.