Lion Osx Macpro problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ggoerl, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ggoerl macrumors regular

I have a 2007 mac pro that was having problems with lion osx since day one of install. I've had lion since it released. Every once in a while it would lock up on me forcing me to power down and restart. It happened again about the day before. I rebooted and the system crashed I guess cause it wouldn't boot into lion it asked me to either do a fresh install or restore from a time machine backup. I restored and everything was ok again...or so I thought. It froze the day after, I reboot but I can no longer get back into lion. It freezes during boot up and the spinning wheel just locks up. I've tried a safe boot (holding shift) and have even tried booting from my time machine backup disk to try to restore it freezes as well. I'm stuck and frustrated on this crappy OS since I no longer have any snow leopard backups.

2. MacOCD macrumors regular

This happened to me when I first got lion. Downgraded to 10.6, and reinstalled 10.7 3 weeks later and no problems since. Never figured out what was wrong, but it fixed itself on an install so maybe you should try that again.

3. ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

I wish I could do that but I am unable to do anything as it freezes in boot up.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

In Disk Utility: Repair Disk permission, repair disk. You can get into Disk utility by pressing an holding the alt key just when the grey screen appears on startup. Then choose the Recovery HD. Choose disk utility from the top menu under tools or something like that.

Also reset smc, PRAM and all that.
    http://thenextweb.com/lifehacks/2010/12/04/how-when-why-to-reset-the-pram-smc-on-your-mac/

might work, might not. Try it out

5. ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

I reset both of those and have tried to get to disk utility from my "recovery hd" which you're referring to my time machine backup hd right? If thats the case yea, still no luck. I've tried that before and tried it again after resetting the smc and pram. Even popped lion in the disc drive it freezes on that as well.

6. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Well no when you install Lion it creates a small partition called Recovery HD. You can select it when pressing and holding the alt key at startup. From there you need to choose disk utility. from the drop down menus

You say you have a time machine backup?? if thats the case then you might just completely erase the HDD (through disk utility) in the your mac, and then reinstall the system, then migrate your data back over.

I just thought of something. It vaguely possible that it freezes because of bad RAM. you can try to take out one RAM stick at a time, and booting up every time in between. If it a bad RAM stick then it should be fine if the certain of is removed.
    But then its also possible that the logic board is dead. I dunno, and its impossible to find out without a hardware test, I presume it would crash there aswell :D

7. ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

Oooh, well I don't get the option for recovery hd option when I boot up and hold alt. I just get my drive with lion on it, my time machine backup and my lion disc. I would try to restore again but I can't even get to disk utility.

I guess I might have to try to take out my ram although I don't see why it would be bad. I got it from Crucial. I thought ram has to be installed in pairs? You're saying to take on at a time out?

Now the logic board is what exactly?

8. The-Pro macrumors 65816

hmm thats weird. Damn, that sucks.

I dunno what model mac pro you have exactly. The pairs is correct for a dual processor. try it out with the RAM. Not sure if it wont boot up when they are not pairs.
    Im running out of ideas on what to do and what can be wrong, which is why i mentioned the RAM thing. Its possible but you know :D
    The logic board is just another name for motherboard. If you don't know what a mother board is it is the the central circuit board where everything is connected to. Your processors are on it, graphics cards are plugged in into it etc. The RAM modules are on separate daughter cards, but these are connected to the motherboard. If you look into your mac pro, under the HDD's and above the graphics cards, that highly complicated full of little things is the motherboard :D If your motherboard has a problem then your mac pro is pretty much screwed. :(
    If you can go to an apple store and let a genius check it out.

9. ggoerl, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

I tried changing out the new ram and just leaving the old ram in pairs since I have a dual core. That didn't work so I swapped out the old ram and put the new in. Still no luck so I put all the ram (old and new) back in and swapped out my system drive with a spare I had lying around thinking it might just be that the system drive is kaput. Still no avail. I'm stuck.

Yeah, I know what the motherboard is I never knew it had another name such as logic board. Thanks

Also my mac pro is from 2007 so I believe it's a quad-core xeon 2.80ghz

UPDATE: I happened to find my original mac osx install discs that came with my computer so I was able to get into the apple hardware test screen. Will update again once process has completed.

10. DaddyCorrupted macrumors newbie

That what happend to me also . You think is that I need DVD Installation on it to get it working?

11. ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

Simple hardware test passed, ram and logic board were ok according to the hardware test. I decided to retest but this time check the box for extended testing so it will be more thorough the 2nd pass through.

12. DaddyCorrupted macrumors newbie

13. ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

More thorough test just finished 2 and 1/2 hours later. Everything passed. I don't know what it could be.

14. DaddyCorrupted macrumors newbie

Try installing snow leopard on it. on my macbook it works fine with the Lion but my screen is frozen were the part of the song is going.