lion osx "show all windows" like snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blue planet, Jul 25, 2011.

1. blue planet macrumors newbie

Greetings everyone,

I have upgraded to Lion and for me most of the things are working well.

There is is one or two things which I am missing from Snow Leopard. The first one is I used to hold down an app icon on the dock and it used to show all the windows for that app on Snow Leopard. Now on Lion there is no easy convenient way of showing all windows whilst using the mouse, it just shows a menu list which includes that option inside the menu which is more time consuming.

The second one is on Mozzila Firefox where on Snow Leopard if you pressed command and the left key it use to take you back to the previous page. On Lion it appears that you can not use that short cut.

As a web developer these little things are just nice touches in Snow Leopard which use to make the job quicker and with ease.

Thank you for your time

2. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

I didn't know you were able to use CMD-LeftArrow to go to the previous page.
    You can also use Backspace when not in a text box, as far as I know. I don't know for sure as I only have Snow Leopard.

Just... try that one. Backspace. Let me know if it helps.

3. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

If you have a track pad click on your application in the dock or Mission Control, then do a 3 finger swipe down. It will show all windows from the current app.
    If you do not have a track pad, set up a hot corner under the Mission Control to "Application Windows", or you can click the icon of the app you want in the dock and press CTRL+Down Arrow.

Lion is definitely much easier to deal with a trackpad.

4. blue planet thread starter macrumors newbie

>>Just... try that one. Backspace. Let me know if it helps.
    Backspace does work, thank you for that tip. I am certain CMD-RightArrow would take you a page forward as well on Snow Leopard.

>>Lion is definitely much easier to deal with a trackpad.
    I agree.

I think I will have to wait and hope to see if it is just a bug on the open all windows.

Thanks for your replies.

5. Oraichu macrumors newbie

I would soooo love a resolution for this as well!
    I have simply no clue why they removed that.. makes no sense.

The options that appear when you hold down left mouse button is simply the same options that appear when you click the right button straight away... so wtf? Instead of waiting 1 second for the meny to appear, just click the right button. This isn't 1985, all Macs have two mouse buttons.

6. OmBreNoiRe macrumors newbie

Found a solution : Hyperdock !
    Thanks to this application you can acces show all windows like on SL with "ALT+CLIC" !!

I made an article on my blog :)

7. Paul7 macrumors newbie

If you have an external mouse, then what you need to do is click on the mission control button while over the application icon. ie. if you have mission control set to be the middle mouse button, then click the middle mouse button while hovering over the app icon. I have the magic mouse so all I need to do is double tap with two fingers (what I would do to launch mission control normally) but over the icon instead.

8. jwkay macrumors regular

jwkay

There's an even simpler solution if you've got a machine with a trackpad. You just double tap with two fingers on the Dock icon for the appropriate app. This gives you the "all windows" view from SL.

9. doodlebang macrumors newbie

A little late...

I'm still on snow leopard but who knows this might work for you.

In snow leopard and before, you can/could hit command [ or command ]

to move forward and backwards in history for your window. This works for browsers and finder windows